Re: Toyota Deals the Final Blow to GM and Ford with New Engine...

C. E. White wrote:

While I agree toyota does cut corners as you say, this is not a good example.
I have a '95 Subaru legacy with hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs) and its not the best idea ever. Search for the Tick of Death (name doesn't really fit as its not extremely harmful to the engine). HLAs are notorious for sticking (not pumping up) and causing a tick that eminates from the rocker arms. The engine contines to run, probably 90-95%, but annoys the hell out of the driver. Also causes excess fuel consumption and performance loss, as the affected valves have a lull period when they should opening.
There are reasons why toyota doesn't use HLAs, and IMO, they're fairly valid. I'd criticize their less-than-sturdy suspension. Take a pry bar sometime and push down on corolla ball joints, the support arm just bends.
As incredible as it seems,

Toyota
It certainly is a "good idea". Just poorly executed.

valid.
Yes, with the sludging problems they have, hydraulic lifters would be a very bad idea.
I'd criticize their less-than-sturdy suspension. Take a pry bar

they
very
What sludging problem? I know at least 6 other people with '98-'03 Toyota Siennas similar to mine and no one has reported problems with their engine.