Re: Upgrade ?'s about Monsoon

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:39:22 GMT, "Michael Sovitzky"

Well, I'm not sure about the 99, but I have a Monsoon system in my 03 GAGT, and I've run into a few wrinkles:
1. no shop seems to be able to install the Head Unit without putting in a wiring harness from Scosche (GM-06). Not sure about the amp, but I'm pretty certain that it's linked into the data bus that links the engine computer, head unit, passkey system. If you take one of them out I believe the system gets cranky and starts recording SES codes, though I've yet to prove that. I know that when installers say it'll stop your airbags from deploying it's utter bullshit.
2. replacing the factory speakers is a good idea, and if there's 8 speakers, there's more than likely 2 up front, 2 in the rear passenger's door and 2 in the rear deck. the 2 that are left are usually the tweeters up front, and they can be disconnected for the most part as I remember.
I'd guess that if you don't mind tapping into the line level inputs to the rear speakers, you could wire up a stonger amp without a problem. I'm not audio guru, but as long as everything stays in-tact for the speakers, you'll probably only lose your chimes at the most.
Best of luck!
For the '03 Grand Am, the radio is hooked into the Class 2 data bus, the amp is not. I don't think anything will complain if you replace the radio with a different one, but you will lose the audible warnings chimes because the radio generates them. You can get a special replacement aftermarket chime module that will plug into the wiring harness to generate the chime noises.
A '99 Regal does appear to have the radio connected to the data bus, but it doesn't generate the chimes (the body computer module does, apparently).
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada