Re: US car dealers turn away Canadian new-car buyers - is that legal?

oh well that changes it... its obviously not discrimination then

Reply to
Picasso

  1. an act or instance of discriminating.
  2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.
  3. the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.
  4. Archaic. something that serves to differentiate.
Reply to
Picasso

What's your point?

Bill Putney

How do you reach that conclusion?

Obviously anyone with a CDN address is discriminated against. The car companies are really showing their greed on this issue.

Reply to
who

There was a couple on the news who went to maine from canada to visit family or whatnot ... tried to buy a new car and the dealer prohibited them from doing so. they are taking the dealer to court (Hope they have deep pockets).

I wish more people would do this.

Reply to
Picasso

OK - since he's not going to answer the question, does anyone know what his point was?

Bill Putney

Finding someone with a US address to buy the car could be an upcoming business opportunity. Some people have friends/family that can buy and then sell as a used car to their Canadian relatives. I don't know why the salesmen wouldn't offer this service to anyone who wants to buy a car in the US.

How do those companies that buy cars for people work? Do they buy the car and then turn it over to you, or do they just get your name on the original purchase?

Reply to
Father Guido

I sent my message directly to snipped-for-privacy@news.telus.net by fault. If you have recieved my message please post it on this newsgroup so people can view my points , thx

my points in brief, is that the population of Canada is just about the population of California. Dealership won't dare ruin their relationship with Manufacturer by selling cars to Canadian just for a period of cross border shopping frenzy. Dealership cherish their good relationship with the manufacturer, cuz they can make really better profit by buying cars at bigger reduction on their whole sale value, if they get a better rating from Manufacturer.

My suggestion to canadian is to keep their money in their pocket until the Canadian retail market get starve, so the retails would lower they already high profit margins. On the other hand, wait til the US economy to crash, so the snobs would eventually fight for our loonies in the pockets.

Reply to
c3lee730

You are likely referring to this:

You can join them and help out their pockets. Actually the USA Gov. should back the suit.

Reply to
who

Very good suggestion, that's what I'm going to do. Thank goodness Chrysler made my Concorde (CDN assembled car) very well and parts are readily available. My dealer doesn't like it though, they reminded me how old it is the other day when I bought a small part they don't have in local stock. Considering the very significant design changes now being made to cars because of high and increasing fuel prices, it isn't a good time to buy a vehicle for a long term keep anyway.

I can see the reluctance of manufacturers to reduce Canadian prices until this currency situation levels out, however they could use rebates quite effectively in this situation. The more expensive vehicles have the biggest price difference and some expensive car dealers, such as Porsche and BMW, have already announced rebates.

Unfortunately that is happening and the USA $ is dropping to levels even the currency experts weren't expecting. (C$1 = US$1.048 now) The USA is dropping interest rates and CDA needs to keep interest rates where they are or even higher to avoid excessive inflation; this will drop the USA $ even more. As the USA economy and $ drop the Canadian economy is negatively affected. The Canadian forestry industry has already been affected by both the USA housing recession plus the falling USA $; many Canadian lumber mills are shutting down. So many CDNs may soon not have jobs to pay for the cars at any price.

Reply to
who

It's a class action suit. They won't see diddly-squat for money.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Finding someone with a US address to buy the car could be an upcoming

Dealership, if they are smart enough to squeeze the juice out of the fruit, they can always open a seperate entity just to buy cars and do resale buiness with canadians. However, becuz canadian cross border buyers are still not common, and used car really depreciate alot, there is big risk for them to take.

Reply to
c3lee730