Re: What is it with Right Rear Windows?

Three cars now. Two Pontiac and one Olds. From 1995 thru 1999. >

> Three for three. The right rear door window. > > Goes intermittent. It will go out for a few days, then work again. > > One Pontiac it only did it once or twice in a year, then the car was > totaled. The other Pontiac has only done it once. But the 99 Olds > Intrigue did it intermittently a lot till it finally failed solid. Then it > 'broke' > and the window dropped about 2 inches. I haven't taken the door > apart yet, but eventually I'll get to it. (My daughter has it at college > right now) > > Anyway, it seems weird that it's three for three on the right rear. > >

Well, I found out what it was with the window. At least on the 99 Intrigue. The 'cable' bound around the pulley. As a result, it stressed the nylon tab where the cable attached on the 'riser' part, snapping it. Ended up the cable 'sproinged around the pulley and bound up tight.

It wasn't worth doing anything with it. I just went to a yard and found the exact same car and pulled the whole assembly out. It's bolted in and the whole thing without the glass goes in and out real easy. The toughest part is the fact that most yard cars with good glass have the windows up tight, and it's a real pain to get at the bolt-heads unless you lower the window. Make sure to have an open end wrench for this.

I found out later the yard guys always carry around one of those portable batteries with jumpers to lower windows to take them out. Something that seems pretty obvious, but I would never have thought of that in advance.

Reply to
Mike Y