Re: Who will be the US "Big 3" in 2016?

Page 2 of 2
I guess we would be better off if the government gave us all free medical care, free drugs. Why stop there? What about giving us a free insured car
to go to the doctor, as well as buying the gas to run it. How about a free cell phone to call 911 if needed? How about three months paid medical leave for us and our families when somebody gets sick? How about maid service when we can't clean the house when we get sick. How about paying somebody do to our grocery shopping? How about a minimum wage of $25 a hour, and a 30 hour week so we don't have to work hard to get the things we 'need?' How about a displaced worker payment equal to our take home pay, when all of our jobs go off shore because of all the imports we buy? How about a free college education like in Russia, so we can go to China to design the Toyotas they will soon build there for the American market? Hell we can just raise the death tax to 95% and raise tax rates for the rich to 90% again, the rate in pre President Kennedy days, at least till the rich start moving out of the county, like they are doing in France ;)
mike hunt

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 19:03:29 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

As I recall, the economy was doing pretty well back in those Kennedy days.
The rich can leave as long as they pay the 95% exit tax that will fund our nationalized health care. Like Bill Gates told the graduates, life isn't fair.
And why shouldn't we raise the lazy bum rich kids windfall tax to 95% (of the estate over $1 million)? Like Bill Gates told the graduates, life isn't fair.
I love how you snip the bottom half of my post and then jump back up and top post your response. Must have been something there that really bothered you.

The US the economy was doing pretty sure was do pretty well after the Kennedy cut the marginal tax rate to 50%, the income to the federal treasury tripled. Just as the income to the federal treasury doubled after President Reagan cut the marginal tax rate to 35%. There has been another huge increase in income to the federal treasury after President Bush tax rat cuts. Currently the federal treasures income is the highest in the history of the world.
You must believe it to be fair for the government to pass a law to tax all of the money YOU earned all year, at three times the rate you are currently paying, then tax whatever money you have left over at the end of the year at a rate of 55%? LOL
mike hunt

Correct.
Incorrect.
I base my above comments on Canada, which has had Gov. basic medical care for many years at a nominal quarterly cost per individual. Medical costs in Canada are much less and even those who don't have a good medical plan or lots of money get the same care. A big cost saving in Canada is the approx. 30% cost in the USA of insurer overhead cost. As for drugs they are much lower cost in Canada and there is a rebate based on income. Those with lots of money can afford the drugs.
The stories of USA citizens, often seniors, who can't afford required medical procedures, is very sad. Even China has very low cost or free medical.
Spam Begone wrote:

But for the Canadians I've spoken to, they think the Canadian Healthcare system is horrible. One of the main reasons is that it's hard to obtain.
Mike Hunter wrote:

Mike. I gotta tell you, this is one of the few times I agree with you. Anything run by the government is always more expensive -- and usually poorly run too.