Re: Why aren't foreign cars as good as American cars?

so you're seriously trying to say something like a Camaro is better looking

>than a 911 Turbo or Ferrari 360? >That a Corvette is a better car than a McLaren F1?

YES! Corvette is more reliable and offers much more bang for a buck. Who cares how great a car is when it is priced out of the reach of 99% of the population. Anyone can make a great car when the price tag is high. Corvette offers some serious 911 Competition for $55K.

Reply to
MWelbornjr

Not according to the recent JD Power surveys. Did you not see the hug article in Wall Street journal some time back saying that mercedes was ranked below Opel in a German quality survey. I have read some bad stuff about most new mercedes cars, especially the M-Class.

Yes, they are really safe though and great driving cars. But the new Cadillacs will give them something to be concerned about. And if DCX can't figure out how to run Chrysler Cadillac won't have much competition period.

Reply to
MWelbornjr

GM's pushrod V8s and the 3800 V6 are just as reliable as anything out there. My friend has a 74 Blazer with 300,000 miles. Only recently was the engine rebuilt.

Reply to
MWelbornjr

You certainly are entitled to you opinion but most Americans disagree with you. American buy more domestic vehicles from GM and Ford than ALL of the foreign owned brands combined, including German owned Chrysler.

mike hunt

Liam Devl>

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Cars built in the US by domestic manufactures employ American workers as well. The BIG difference is American corporation pay federal cooperate income taxes and Japanese manufactures merely assembling cars in the US, do not. In addition domestic cars cost a lot less than similar size and equipped Japanese cars even though the Japanese pay their workers less in the US and give them fewer benefits.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mayor2

That may be true, but when its my money, my hard earned dollars, I want some value, I want something that is going to run well, be enjoyable to drive, and not fall apart....thats why I go HONDA. I have two Accords, and in 6 years, I have had nothing other than routine maintenance with my 97. I am due for brakes and timing belt...but nothing breaks on the car....NOTHING. The engines are awesome. OH...I did have a motor mount go earlier this year....

My USA cars, were just awful...always something, rattling squeaking. Just awful. Never again.

Reply to
Firebird

My one son has a 2000 Accord that has a leaky tranny and multiple brake problems and his wife's Sable, company car, has had none. The Sable has 10K more on the clock, so what your point?

mike hunt

Firebird wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

My USA cars are great!

1991 175k one alternator, one set of tires + brakes, muffler and oil changes 1992 180k one starter, one alternator, two sets of tires + brakes, muffler hanger ( muffler is still factory ) and oil changes

Speaking of hard earned dollars and by looking at the big picture guess who gets to pay higher taxes and higher medical payments. The more good paying jobs lost the more someone else picks up the tab. The government IS going to get there cut whether it comes from 100 people or 10 people. The people that have health insurance will be paying extra for the people that don't.

So buying Foreign might not be that good of a value. Save a dollar and pay

10 later.

Reply to
Camaro

money to ship the cars to America. If they were >made in America, they would cost just as much or even less than >the average American car.

You have not price a foreign car lately have you? Both Toyota and Honda assemble vehicles in the US but they cost 25 to 30% MORE to drive home than their similar size and equipped domestics competitors.

mike hunt

Reply to
BigJohnson

money to ship the cars to America. If they were >made in America, they would cost just as much or even less than >the average American car.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That is because of the perception that some have that foreign vehicles are somehow 'better. 'The Mazda (Ford) truck sells for at least $1,500 more than the Ranger when equipped the same, but it has a 4/50 warranty to Fords 3/36. The Ranger outsells the Mazda ten to one. The Pontiac Vibe (Toyota) sells for less than the Matrix when equipped the same, but the Vibe outsell the Toyota five to three.

mike hunt

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

This was a 1983 Pontiac 6000, so they were probably similar engines. What kills me is that the car was basically reliable (bulletproof for my grandmother, and while I owned it 89-92, it only need a power steering pump), but one day just cruising down the freeway and BAM! Fluids everywhere.

I really didn't mean to come across as dogging on all GMs; my wife and I have recently owned a Cavalier, Alero, and Intrigue, and they were all very solid rides (the Cav's interior fell apart in 2 years, but that's to be expected). None hold a candle to my Maxima, though. To be fair, even if this Nissan runs forever, my next car will probably be a GM. I truly believe that starting with the 05 Buick Regal, they'll have turned the corner and started producing competitive cars again. My wife drives a Ford Escape, and it's been a very, very reliable and tightly-constructed vehicle much to my surprise. I'm still leery of it, I think Ford just cuts way too many corners on their cars. Check

to see what I mean.

Actually, the biggest piece of shit I ever owned was a 96 Volks Jetta. That is the only brand of car I will never, ever consider buying again.

Reply to
Rich