Re: Why I spurn American Cars

I have worked on the process- quality side of steel production. When the

> heat (a ladle of steel) is bound for Toyota or Honda- there are stricter > practices enforced. The rejection criteria are much broader for US > automakers than transplants. > There is no doubt whatsoever that US car producers are more careless and > sleepy compared to the "foreign" companies. > > > Do people find the following features as annoying as I do? > > > > 1) The rattles and shakes. Even little bump I encounter, I get these > > funky sounds from all over the car. It is so damn annoying. Can any > > claim that their American car does not rattle or doesn't have > > torsional shakes when encountering potholes? Obviously almost every > > car has some sort of rattle and shakes but bad as American Cars? > > > > 2) Cheeziest interiors. American Cars have the worst design interior > > of any brands. Everything from choice of materials to design of > > gauges. Ergonomics are a nightmare. (Only notible exception is the > > Aurora) > > > > 3) Poor fit & finish. My mother once looked at a new LH and I sat in > > the back and examine the roof. Poof! Off comes the paneling. I > > initially thought it must be just this car, got into another LH and > > same problem. The worst fit and finish problem with American cars is > > the wind and road noise. Can the American Manufacturer's produce a > > car that has proper sealing doors and windows? > > > > 4) Americans cars are the uglist cars on the planet today (except the > > cars produced in the former Eastern Bloc countries). Everything from > > panel spacing to design. Roadmaster, Caprice Classic, Lumina, > > Cadillacs, to name a few of the uglies. There was a time when > > American Cars set the standard for styling, but that time has passed > > along with Disco and Bell-bottoms. > > > > 5) Driver feedback. Yucky Steering and Brake feel. There is about a > > 1 inch dead zone on my Jeep Cherokee where the steering wheel moves > > but the car does not. It is difficult to know when brakes will lock up > > give the spongy feel of American brakes. Also very difficult to know > > when you rear-end will slide out since the only feedback from your > > butt and back is the vibration from the lousy chassis. > > > > 6) Lack of driver reward. I have never recalled feeling giddy coming > > up to a winding road when driving an American car. Driving one of > > these things is completely devoid of pleasure and reward. > > > > I currently own only one American car, a 1994 Pontiac Grand AM. I > > have own a couple other American cars. I have had experience with > > Corvettes Camaros, Fieros, Cutlasses, GMC trucks / Vans, Dodge products > > etc. I own two European cars both of which are free of the things I > > described above. > > > > I am willing to buy another American car if they can produce something > > worth buying. I will wait...hopefully for a short time. > > > > I am interested in people's views on American cars and whether they > > see them in a bad light as I do. I do not intend to start a flame > > war, I am truly interested. It is my opinion that once a person buys > > a Jap or European car, they tend not to go back to American cars. IF > > this is true, how will American Cars attract this market back? > > > > I look forward to see if anyone shares my opinions. > >
Reply to
Dave Brower

Hey Hunt,

If you want to post your glory for fords go to the ford site, get off the Toyota, GM and whatever else your on.... But if you tell me that a ford Taurus is better than a Toyota and is built better, will last longer and won't be in the shop every week with something then we can talk....

Jake

Reply to
M Hayes529

I didn't do the cross post, only replied to it from the NG I was in at the time. I never said one was better than the other, only that some costs a lot more. From what I see every manufacture is building good stuff today. The only difference is see is style and price. Spend your money were you wish

mike hunt

M Hayes529 wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

I'm referring to corporate and government fleets, not rental car companies. Most rental companies do not keep their vehicles more than a year. Fleets generally keep their units in service for five year or 300K, WOF.

mike hunt

Liam Devl>

Reply to
MelvinGibson