REAL air filter testing. More proof that K&N is junk.

Page 2 of 2

The K&N was the best at what it claimed to be the best at. Free air flow. One thing the study didn't talk about what how much tolernace for dirt did the motor have? Were all air filters within the manufactures specs?
Less junk getting into your motor is a good thnig, but at some point it won't matter due to your oil filter etc.

WHAT??!! K/N filters aren't worth the money??!! You mean their literature is full of lies??!! What's this world coming to?
All kidding aside, I've never purchased a K/N filter for the simple reason that, more airflow through a similar sized filter equals more dirt. It's elementary.
I learned my lesson about creative marketing when I had a Aero Turbo muffler installed on my truck. Their literature boasted large increases in MPG with their muffler. I figured any increase would be worth it. I didn't realize any increase at all.
NES
That is why they call that stuff "after market." If ANY of the stuff actually did what they claimed it would not be "after market," because every automotive manufacture would be using the stuff. Every manufacture is looking for every advantage over the other to meet or exceed CAFE
mike hunt
NES wrote:

Finally some are seeing the light! I've been preachin' against these filters for years only to be villified for not knowing what I was talking about. It's old technology that was abandoned by every major engine manufacturer back in the fifties. I wonder how many folks had to do a ring job on their engines due to these filters..... Goes to show how gullible folks are when it comes to advertising. Ya know, folks are still buying that Tornado gizmo that installs on a carb! That piece of garbage was in the JCWhitney cat for $9.95 back in the 50s....same piece of junk costs $70 today. Oh well, if it seems too good to be true......it is!
Dave S(Texas)
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Not much change then, considering that $9.95 in 1950 dollars amounts to around $73 in today's money. :)
But you're right, it IS junk.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Most "after market" stuff does work. But then most after market is geared at power and performance, which does not go hand and hand with CAFE, but usually against it. The after market has been providing roller lifters and rocker arms since the early 70's. why? Because they reduce friction in the valve train, which frees up horse power, and allows higher rpms. Guess what many auto manufactures are using these days? Do you think Chevy would have put V-8s in the Monza if there hadn't been so many people using after market to put them in Vegas? Or ford have put V-8s in the Mustang II if so many people hadn't used after market kits to do the same with Pintos and Mustang II's? Hot Rodders where rigging up snorkels with dryer hose and then after market kits to get cool air from out side the engine bay into the intake way back in the early 60's. How many manufactures don't have ducting from the radiator horn to the intake these days? We knew back in the early 70's that an air dam across the front made the car handle better, and run faster, that ground affects kits got us better fuel mileage and handling.. How many cars today don't have some sort of air dam and ground affects ether as an added on piece like the S-10s, or incorporated into the bumper design and rocker panels like the Mustang, Monte Carlo, Impala and the Corvette? The after market has been providing performance suspension components for ever. Its only been in the last 10-15 years that you have seen manufactures start using teflon and polyurethane bushings, and performance shocks/struts like Bilstien. It was the automotive enthusiast and the after market that got sway bars on oem. Like any other industy there are snake oil salesmen out there. But they make up a very small percentage of the industry. Of course if you were one of those that was always trying to get a bit more out of what the manufacturer sold you, you would know this. OEM never does anyhting that costs more till they are forced to by consumer demand and lost sales kick them in the gonads and getting their attention.
Whitelightning
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 02:18:27 GMT, "Whitelightning"

I think they decided to design cars to better handle a V8 after those experiments

pulled off the air horn by people "hot rodding" their engine's

think the manufacturers knew, used and installed these devices on the cars where they wouldn't be ripped off. Keep in mind the environment the cars from the 1960's & 70's were driving in. The plastics, roads, fuel & tires have improved dramatically since then.

with poly urethane bushings for more than 5 years. IF you could stand the noise & feedback you'd be back at the dealer getting the bushings changed so often you'd think Fiat is the way to go.

OEM wants to make a sale, & Keep the money, then make another sale to the same person. If you sell a product that won't hold up, isn't suited to the environment or will cause other problems you will either not be able to make another sale to the same person or you will have people asking for their money back (or both).
GM Makes amazing direct injection Diesels in Europe, However the Fuel in this continent is so polluted and the roads are so rough that they refuse to import them (an example of reality getting in the way of a good idea).
A group of highly trained engineers working as a team for GM Ford etc, are more likely to arrive at a more workable automotive solution to a problem than the average K-Tel inventor.
GM experiments & tries new things (i.e. the experimental CVCC 350 they tried years ago) however they won't sell such a product to your wife if it will leave her stranded outside of Fargo on a cold winter day or won't work within the constraints of the EPA or CAFE.
That's life.
Full_Name wrote:

warranty by as little as possible
like anything else in this world .. it cant break till the warranty is up
NES wrote:

know the literature makes claims that defy the physical rules of the universe, but I keep hearing stories that seem to support their claims. What year and model vehicle did you put it on, did you follow their requirements? And what was the actual outcome?? Thanks,
George
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:42:45 -0500, someone posing as Steve W. chisled in the wall:

Just my $0.02...
I bought a K&N drop-in filter for my '95 Jimmy at around 70,000 miles. I noticed absolutely no difference in performance.
I later bought a CAI kit at around 120K miles and still noticed very little difference in performance. At around the same time I replaced the muffler and cat with Flowmaster (and whatever the cat was) models. It was at that time, I noticed a bit more OTL increase.
IOW, the filter did absoletly nothing by itself.
On my '98 Maxima, I took a different approach - I ensured that the $1.50 Autozone air filter was changed every 4K miles when I did an oil change.
Having just bought a Saturn VUE on Sunday, I plan to do the same.
This technique provides two advantages - first I don't let too much dirt into the engine, where it "could" possibly cause some future damage. Second, I ensure I always have a free-flowing filter at a very low price.
Anybody need some bottles of K&N filter oil?
--
kai - perfectreign at yahoo dot com
www.perfectreign.com