?-Rear wheel bearing replacement on an '88 Buick LeSabre?

Hi all,

I've got a bad driver's side (LHD) rear wheel bearing on a 1988 Buick LeSabre.

There is quite the axial play, and you can hear it groan.

It appears to me that this is a hub assembly, but I didn't remove the wheel to investigate.

I'm well equipped to do most work (shop press, bearing separators, air, etc...). I've just sold this car, and I want to change the wheel bearing for the new owner.

How easy does this assembly come apart (non ABS). Any info about the procedure would be appreciated. I'm quite used to doing wheel bearings on Fiat X1/9s, which are a press in sealed for life setup, with a threaded retainer ring all housed in the pillar.

Thanks! ;)

Reply to
Myron Samila

"Myron Samila" wrote

You just unbolt the hub and bearing assembly from the spindle and install a new assembly. Pretty simple stuff.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Ian beats me to the punch!

Hello Ian, how are you?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Sounds easy enough. I've never done a hub assembly type before.

The bearing is actually quite expensive, at $188 Canadian from a jobber for the non ABS, $366 for ABS. Holy smokes.

My Fiat ultra rare press in bearings are a whopping $22 USD for the early style, and $35 USD for the late style, but that isn't comparing apples with apples ;) Geez, and I want to buy an early '80s Ferrari, hmmm, parts $$$?

Thank you for the replies.

Reply to
Myron Samila

You can buy them in the USA for:

$70.00 or less!

Poor Kannuks!

LOL

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

$70 USD = $100 Cnd approx. Yeah, we don't always get the best deal, but...... a lot of things actually are cheaper here.

Ordering from the US is a pain, because when it hits the border, there is Brokerage/Duty, blah blah.... But when you guys order from here to go there, no problem!! ;) Free trade lol.

I found the hub assembly for $165 Cnd, this is a quality US made part with 1 year warranty, I could also get one for $100 Cnd, but it only has a 90 day warranty :( made somewhere else.

Reply to
Myron Samila

It's all in fun:

But just to show you how unbalanced the free trade bullshit is, you hit the nail right on the head.

A little extra drywall compound for the bureaucrats on this one!

Refinish King

Brokerage/Duty,

Reply to
Refinish King

Be prepared to BEAT the wheel bearing hub off. After 16 years in place its gonna be tight.,,,,mine was.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~280,596 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Yeah, and have fun getting those bolts out...I see your from the T-dot as well. The salt on the roads does a number on those fastners. Broke 2 sockets trying to free mine up!

Shane

1988 Olds T.S.

Reply to
Shane Williams