Recommendations on Buying a Used S-10 Blazer

I am looking to buy a used 4 x4 Blazer up to about 4 years old. Any things I should look out for would be appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Edge

I own a 2002 4x4 2 Door and love it. I've read that the one thing to look for on these is that the remote oil filter adaptor hoses leak at the ends (eventually). If they do leak, the aftermarket company Dorman, (who makes the HELP!Products brand) is now making the hoses. I think the lever to tilt the seat forward is prone to breakage too, cuz Dorman also makes those. GW

Edge wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

We have a 1999 that had Dex-Cool and it did something, what I don't know. Anyways, the Dex-Cool wasn't flowing thru the radiator for some reason (we could take the cap off the radiator and see no movement...so we took a turkey baster and took some out waited a few minutes and it didn't fill back up). That winter we had NO heat in it...makes you realize that heat is something good.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I heard this Dex-Cool can sludge-up, especially in some GM engines. How did you get it fixed?

Reply to
Edge

We called up GM customer support and they told us to take it to the place where we bought it. I guess then they flushed it and at our request put in regular antifreeze.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I have bought a 1999 GMC Jimmy (brand new) and I have had to:

- replace the rear main seal

- replace the oil cooler lines (three times)

- re-glue the outside door cladding

- replace the wheel hubs+ bearings (3 of them)

- replace the seat back handle

- replace the head gasket

- then another oil leak: I was told the rear main seal was leaking again as well as the manifold intake. Just when I was pondering what to do about this, the engine blows (I have put in a new engine) after less than four years and 110,000 kms.

- replaced the turn signal (around CDN$500)

- noise in the dashboard: it appears that an engine mount is bad

Consider this a public service anouncement and buy anything else !

Reply to
Alex V

I have a 1997 S-10 Blazer, 2 door, 2wd, purchased new in June 1997. It currenlty has 102,000 miles on it.

At 40,000 the alternator needed replacing. At 50,000, the water pump. At that point flushed and refilled with Dexcool, since I had a 5/100k warranty. At 80,000 Transmission, A/C compressor, windshield wiper control module. Note: Transmission would set a "slip" code in the computer. It would only do this after driving 3-5 miles at steady highway speed, and then "set" it when lifting foot off throttle to make an exit. I never could feel it really slipping. But since I had the warranty, they replaced it.

Brake pads last 25-30,000 miles in heavy stop and go driving, less than many other vehicles I have driven.

Except for the transmissi>I have bought a 1999 GMC Jimmy (brand new) and I have had to:

Reply to
M. Earle

I have a 94 Jimmy, yeah it's the old style. I've replaced the WP, because the shaft bent in an accident, a CV shaft, boot tore to CAUSE the accident and ABS module, that was at 75,000 miles or so. Radiator was also replaced.

Intake gaskets were done at 65,000 or so.

CPI unit was replaced at 100,000 miles, this is a common problem only on trucks as old as mine.

80,000 miles I had the rear axle bearings replaced

Idler arm has been done twice, 60,000 miles and 110,000.

Gas tank was replaced at 90,000 miles.

Fuel pump went at around 113,000 and the alternator went the week after.

Besides that, it's just been fluid changes, brake pads, tune-up parts for the last 55,000 miles. I didn't have the truck before it hit

60,000.

Not too bad for a design as old as m>I have a 1997 S-10 Blazer, 2 door, 2wd, purchased new in June 1997.

Reply to
Mike Levy