Red stripe sidewall tires

I just watched part of a show yesterday in which they featured Jay Leno's Olds Toronado, looked to be circa 1966 (it was a tan / light brown colour if that's any clue).

Anyway, the tires were red stripe tires although they appearered to be the original size for that car, which IIRC would be the equivelant to

235-75-15's.

I would like to find some red stripe tires that size for my truck but not having much luck finding anything as such.

Anyone know of a company, link, etc?

I would think this style of tire would still have sufficient demand for them to be more available -- and in more sizes. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dale R

About the only place to find them is from companies which specialize in reproduction tires for old cars. Expect to pay a stiff price for tires which often are not exactly of the most modern design and manufacturing.

Some of the larger vendors:

John Horner

John wrote;, "About the only place to find them is from companies which specialize in reproduction tires for old cars. Expect to pay a stiff price for tires which often are not exactly of the most modern design and manufacturing." *********************************************** Thanks, John, I suppose you're probably right about the dinosaur technology and quality of these tires.

It still seems to me that if, say, Goodyear or some major manufacturer would come out with a line of red stripe tires they'd be at least popular enough to support their tooling up to produce them. Look at the myriad of other designs -- tread patterns, sidewall lettering, etc.

-- there's a zillion of them! And they're constantly changing them. I'd be surprised to find anyone who thinks the red stripe look is 'uncool.'

I worked part time selling at a tire shop a couple years ago and could have _swore_ I saw, in a catalogue there, a model of red stripe made by BFG -- with modern tread design, similar to the Radial T/A.

But this ws before I was interested in buying any so I didn't really pay much attention at the time.

Reply to
Dale R

Surprise ! ! !

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin Pawlowski wrote, "Surprise ! ! ! " *********************************************** Damn! I _hate_ surprises! ;-) But yeah, I must be wrong about the popularity of red stripes, otherwise someone would sure as hell be manufacturing modern tires with them. I guess there are a lot of sidewall lettering fonts and designs I wouldn't buy either, for that matter.

Reply to
Dale R

I bought a set of 4 for my 1970 Chevy Impala....They were sold at Esso dealers, "Tiger in your Tank" They were made by Atlas Tire...The Round Tire" ...Worse tire I have ever bought!>

Reply to
Andy

The time frame would be about right. I had red stripe "wide oval" tires on a Mustang I had in '67 & '68. This was just before radials, with tubes no less, started to become available.

Reply to
NickySantoro