Regal Fuel Pump Problem

2000 Regal. Have had to replace fuel pump 4 times in the past 5 months. Also replaced Relay. Mechanic says that power is at the pump, but after a couple
of weeks after replacing, I get a problem where it will intermittently won't fire. I can tap the bottom of the gas tank with a rubber mallet and it will start working. Using CarQuest brand pumps which have been sent back to them for testing to see if there is indeed a problem with the pump, but haven't heard back. Anyone have suggestions
-
Bitters wrote:

Possible bad ground - typically eats pumps.

Just worked on an old LeSabre with this very same problem. The owner had put in a fuel pump from either NAPA or Advance Auto and it took three pumps before coming up with one that worked. The DOA pumps all worked for a brief time (mere hours) and then displayed intermittent pumping on ignition on. No one wants to suspect three bad pumps, so you look at every other possible cause, but damn it - it was three bad pumps from the store. QA just isn't what it used to be...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Mike, I've heard numerous stories of multiple pump replacements on GM cars, and nearly every story I've heard involved aftermarket pumps. Can only think of one time I've heard of multiple failures when original was replaced with OEM GM pump assembly.
Has this been your experience as well?
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

I've used a lot of aftermarket pumps myself Bill, with no problems. Up until the owner brought this car over, I had never encountered problems with the aftermarket stuff.