Remote car starter

I have aremote car starter on my car. It has the capability of remote door locks on the unit. My car 1997 cavalier, came with factory remote keyless entry. The company that installed the remote starter wanted $200.00 to hook up the car starter to the power door locks. They said I had to buy relays to hook it up. My question is, can I not just hook it up to the relays the car came with? If so, does anyone know where I find them in my car? Please advise.

Thanks Robert robertd@who"SNIP"ever.com Remove "SNIP" to email

Reply to
Robert D

your keyless entry remote start has a NEG (ground output) from it for the lock/unlock.

GM designed their wiring of the switches to switch 12v to their relays.

So the GM relays are triggered by 12v

Here is the fix

You need 2 relays

thr terminals are labeled

30 87 87a 86 85

86 and 85 are the coil that gets energized to make the relay click

with the 2 new relays , near the gm relays wire this up

wire 12 v to 30 and 86 of the 2 new relays to Orange wire at GM relays

wire 87 of ONE of the relays to the to white wire on the end of the GM relay Wire the other rlay's 87 to the blue or black wire at the other end of the GM relay. ( double check the relay wire colors from GM) The Orange should have 12v, the white will have 12v when Lock or Unlock switch is pressed. The blue or black at the other end will be the other 12v lock or unlock wire)

now touch the testlight or ground to the 85 of one relay, if it LOCKS attach the lock output of the RS/KE to it The other is UNLOCK

You are now good to go The cost in parts RETAIL from ANY ayto parts store is LESS than $20 and THAT is ALL that shop should have charge for that service.

It took me more time to hunt and peck this out than it takes to do it.

Reply to
I'm Right

Thanks for the help.

Reply to