Remote start for cars and trucks ????

I would like to know about remote starter systems for cars and trucks. Good or bad. Can they cause problems? This would go on a 98 pontiac grand prix as a gift but i dont want problems. Thanks

I have all of my car equipped with remote starters and have had it on serveral cars over the years. I had them installed at the dealership to save with warranty problems with aftermarket stuff but I have never had a problem. Great for winter, here in the northeast but even better in summer to cool a hot car. If your car does not have automatic climate control you must remember to set the HVAC system to where you want it to be when you will be starting the vehicle.
mike hunt
snipped-for-privacy@netins.net wrote:

I have it for years without problem. Just have someone installed it properly that they don't cut too many wires for nothing. It will make a great gift.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 01:41:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@netins.net wrote:

Mine is installed in a 1988 Delta 88 in such a fashion that it uses current through the heater fan blower circuit to trigger the car starter relay. Now I'm having troubles with the fan losing connection and when hitting a bump restarting. And I'm in Canada where it's important.
Turns out the copper connection used for power and the low speed are green instead of copper due ot the heat of the current being put through that circuit. This overheating is on both the blade part which is part of the heater control head and the connecter.
Granted it's three and a half years later but this is an unintended consequence of having a remote car starter and how the techs wired it up. Mind you it's not the techs fault as I'm sure they're just following instructions. It's the mfr fault.
Tony
Hello, I have installed it on a 89 dodge dynasty. I'm not where happy with it since i donot feel the car is warmer (inside) when i walked in. I think it is good to run the car earlier so you donot need to heat up the enigne. Try to get a longer range ones with 4 bottons if you can.
At one time i observed flaw with it but it happened just one time.on this specific case, eventough the car started up fine, it cranked again. I tried to repeat this many other times and it did not happen again.
PS: be sure they connected right,and your fan works if you left the car running. check it. (there are more than one accessory cables and you need to decide which one is fan, blower motor). Initially i connected it to radio instead of fan. (i know it is not very wise)
It is cool to keep the car runnign when you leave it for aobut 5-10 minutes. otherwise it cools down very fast when you have teen temperarture outside.
Tony VE6MVP wrote:

I'm in Canada. The high in a few days is going to be about -10 American.
Tony