Remove interior door panels on 96 Beretta?

I've googled till I was blue in the face, and I can't find an answer to this one.

1996 Beretta 3.1 V6 auto trans

My power door lock switch snapped off (darn plastic) on the driver's side so I'd like to replace it with one from the bone yard. My car is a standard Beretta (not a GT) so the lock switch is on the door panel.

I removed the three or so screws that are visible on the black plastic trim piece, but the lock handle that you can manually slide back and forth to lock/unlock the door is preventing me from pulling the black trim panel out and rotating it so I can get it off the door lever that you pull to open the door.

I presume I'm missing something really simple, but I didn't want to force anything because I feared it might break.

Any and all help very much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Reply to
Rutger6559

This set up sounds remotely close to the door lock button on my 89 Z -

24 that I had. Mine was a black plastic lever with a bit of red showing, for when the door was unlocked.

The black lever on mine snapped over an L - shaped steel rod that goes inside the door to the handle mechanism.

If I remember correctly the back portion of the slide lever is C shaped to slide over the metal rod, There was a 90 degree bend in mine where the rod ended. The forward part the plastic slide lever snapped over the end ( the 90 degreee bend ) of the steel rod with either a beer barrel clip or a V cilp. Its a tight snap fit.

Try prying or even pulling out with your fingers on the very end of the slide lever - once you pull off the one end , the other left side end will slide across the steel rod and you can then pull it off completely.

Hope this helps

Good Luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,982 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Thanks much for this Harry!

It finally was warm enough here near Chicago today to try out your suggestions. You were spot on. Pulling or prying with my fingers didn't work, but when I enlisted the help of a small pry bar, the plastic slide cover came off. Man, did they ever make that a tight fit!!!!

I was able to get the plastic cover off, but I couldn't get the mechanism that the now missing tab was connected to out of the cover. It had plastic tabs on top and bottom holding it in. I tried wedging a flat head screwdriver in, but I saw the black plastic was turning almost white from the stress, so I didn't force it.

I'll try to get a new cover AND switch with a non-broken tab.

Also, it was terrible trying to re-install the things!!! I finally got the sliding handle over the bent rod in the right place, though, and it's now back to where it was (minus a few tiny metal clip like things). I'm not concerned about that, though, because that snug fit holds the slider in nicely.

Now I have to wait for decent weather to go trekking through the local bone yards in search of a similar Beretta.

Thanks again!!!

Reply to
Rutger6559