Remove Rear Driver-side Door Panel? Buick Century 2000

Threaded View

How does one remove the inside door panel of the rear driver side door on
a 2000 Buick Century?

The window wasn't working, and then I foolishly pushed the down button and
it went down a few inches and won't go up.  I can slide it up by hand, but
it won't stay up.  I guess whatever holds it up isn't connected or under
the window or something.  I'm handy mechanically, as far as engine repairs
go, but getting this door panel off is a mystery to me.

The motor will run in the down direction, sometimes, but in the up
direction for only a few moments.  However, that's mostly irrelevant, as I
really just want the window securely up, and then I'll leave it alone.
And when the motor runs upwards, the window doesn't go up any, and it can
still slide down by hand all the way.

I managed to pop out the small plastic panel that surrounds the door
handle and lock, but there was nothing helpful that I could see in there.

There was a little pop-out panel in the bottom of the hand grip and two
hex-headed screws under that, which I removed.  But the panel is still
quite secure.

I expected it to just pop loose, but the first two places I tried
"popping" I broke plastic fasteners that appear to go into the material of
the door panel adn look like they were plastic-riveted on the door metal
side.

Anyway, the point is in the first paragraph.  What is the secret to
removing the panel without damage?

Thank you for any helpful or humorous suggestions.

Jeff

--
A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body.

Re: Remove Rear Driver-side Door Panel? Buick Century 2000

Document ID# 607471
2000 Buick Century

Trim Panel Replacement - Side Rear Door
Tools Required
J 38778 Door Trim Pad Clip Remover

Removal Procedure

Remove the power window switch (3), if equipped. Refer to Power Window
Switch Replacement - Rear Door .
Remove the arm rest pull cup cover (1).
Remove the armrest pull cup screws.
Starting at the door bottom, use the J 38778 to release the door trim panel
retainers.
Lift the trim panel up to release the top edge and remove it from the door.

Installation Procedure

Important
Before installing the door trim panel to the door, discard the old trim
panel retainers. Use new trim panel retainers in order to properly secure
the trim panel to the door .

Install the new trim panel retainers to the trim panel.
Position the top of the trim panel at the window opening and press down.
Align the fasteners into the holes in the door metal.
Firmly press the door panel to seat the fasteners.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must
be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring
replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or
sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints,
lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces
unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping
force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and
specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts
and systems.

Install the armrest pull cup screws. Tighten
Tighten the armrest pull cup screws to 2 Nm (18 lb in).
Install the armrest pull cup cover (1).
Install the power window switch (3). Refer to Power Window Switch
Replacement - Rear Door .

Re: Remove Rear Driver-side Door Panel? Buick Century 2000

<much snippage>

Thank you, Silver Surfer, for the rapid and helpful response.  I guess I
need to find one of those Door Trim Panel Clip Remover tools.  I wonder if
that's dealer only or if the auto parts store sells something that will do
the trick.

Thank you again,

Jeff

--
A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body.

Re: Remove Rear Driver-side Door Panel? Buick Century 2000

I just use a J - screwdriver, everything GM makes takes a special J
something or other tool. Most of the time I find I can use something in my
garage that does the same thing.

-

Re: Remove Rear Driver-side Door Panel? Buick Century 2000

I've seen the equivalent of the GM special tool at Auto Zone and Advance.
Inexpensive.  The business end of the tool kind of looks like a rounded off
putty knife with a "V" notch in the middle.

Re: Remove Rear Driver-side Door Panel? Buick Century 2000

Got it.  $7 at AutoZone.

Thank you and thanks also to Adams Family.  I appreciate the help gentlebeings.

Wish me luck using the tool correctly.  :-)  I wouldn't worry, except
inherent in the nature of this tool is that you can't see what you're
doing while you learn how to use it...

--
A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body.

Re: Remove Rear Driver-side Door Panel? Buick Century 2000

I got the panel off without damage.

The problem appears to be that the window lowering cable came off of
whatever it uses as a pulley at the bottom of the window shaft.  This
created much extra slack in the lowering cable, which then wound onto the
winch.

However, the same winch is used to wind and unwind both the up and down
cables simultaneously. Furthermore, there is very limited space on that
winch for cable.

So the extra slack wound onto the winch, overcrowded it with cable, even
folded a bit of the cable, and caused the winch to jam when it tried to
raise teh window, which would have involved winding up-cable onto the
winch.

The motor seems to be fine, as is the attached winch assembly.  The cables
are a little beat up, but I think they're usable.

I just need to figure out what the down-cable loops around at the bottom
of the window shaft.  I can feel some slick plastic or nylon down there,
but there doesn't seem to be clearance between the plastic/nylon and the
window shaft on one side to slide the cable around the plastic/nylon.  I
may have to unbolt the whole assembly, tilt it over and pull it out of the
door.

Anyway, just wanted to let folks know how it's going and add to the list
of power window failure modes.  I don't really have any burning questions,
unless someone wants to describe what the down-cable uses for a pulley,
but I think I can figure it out.

Jeff

--
A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body.

Site Timeline