Removing dealer plaque

Folks,
Would you have any suggestions for removing one of those three dimensional dealer name plaques from the trunk lid of my Monte Carlo without damaging
the finish underneath?

Tell them to do it, and if they damage the paint, have them pay for repainting it.

Agreed, and when you buy a car, ask the dealer if he is going to pay you for advertising. Be it a major discount on the price of the car, or a nice check once a month for however long you own the vehicle. The last car I bought had a nice ugly sticker on the bumper and an ugly chrome plate trim, I asked the salesman if he was going to give me a discount for having them there, he laughed. So, when I bought the car, I ripped them both off and handed them to the salesman.

Yeah I dont even give GM free advertising, I removed all the nameplates off my monte carlo except for the shield in the front (since there are holes underneath it into the bumper cover.
Steve Mackie wrote in alt.autos.gm

If you had walked off the lot without the car, he probably would have sucked them off with his mouth.
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.

OK. I'll give the hair dryer a try.
Inherited this machine from my father-in-law who bought it three years ago, and that's why it got stuck with the plaque.
A couple of years ago I specified up front that my new Intrigue was to not have any dealer decals affixed to it upon taking delivery of it. They obliged me. The license plate frame with their name on it was easily removed.

And if any residue remains it is easily removed with a product called Goo Gone. Comes in a small 1 or 2 ounce bottle at discount dept stores like Wal Mart, etc. It won't hurt the paint and does a nice job. Another is common paint thinner, NOT laquer thinner, from the hardware store. Whichever you use wash the car with soap and water as usual and then wax the area where the adhesive was.
-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"

Hair dryer and a PLASTIC putty knife works great. WD-40 will take off any residue left over.
Tom

Just use the plastic putty knife to gently pry it off, not scrape.
Tom

Use dental floss to remove it from the body and then remove the adhesive with Goo Gone or something like it.

Waterless hand cleaner, or real Mayonaise works well. Mayonaise has enzynes which work wonders on dissolving glue, best to do it on warm sunny day.
But don't leave the Mayo on too long. A major component of it is eggs, and I'm sure some or most here know what eggs can do to the finish on a vehicle...

And be sure to lick it all off while it is still cold. Mayo spoils fast and you could end up with salmonella.
Neat tip though ! -- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"

Heat the label with hair dryer then apply WD40. Slowly let WD40 solution seeks under the label then remove it in peel direction along the paint surface. Remove left over adhesive with wd40. Paul