Removing dealer plaque

Folks,

Would you have any suggestions for removing one of those three dimensional dealer name plaques from the trunk lid of my Monte Carlo without damaging the finish underneath?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Tell them to do it, and if they damage the paint, have them pay for repainting it.

Reply to
Paradox

Warm it up with a hair dryer and it should peel right off.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Agreed, and when you buy a car, ask the dealer if he is going to pay you for advertising. Be it a major discount on the price of the car, or a nice check once a month for however long you own the vehicle. The last car I bought had a nice ugly sticker on the bumper and an ugly chrome plate trim, I asked the salesman if he was going to give me a discount for having them there, he laughed. So, when I bought the car, I ripped them both off and handed them to the salesman.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

OK. I'll give the hair dryer a try.

Inherited this machine from my father-in-law who bought it three years ago, and that's why it got stuck with the plaque.

A couple of years ago I specified up front that my new Intrigue was to not have any dealer decals affixed to it upon taking delivery of it. They obliged me. The license plate frame with their name on it was easily removed.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Yeah I dont even give GM free advertising, I removed all the nameplates off my monte carlo except for the shield in the front (since there are holes underneath it into the bumper cover.

Reply to
Paradox

Steve Mackie wrote in alt.autos.gm

If you had walked off the lot without the car, he probably would have sucked them off with his mouth.

Reply to
Dick C

And if any residue remains it is easily removed with a product called Goo Gone. Comes in a small 1 or 2 ounce bottle at discount dept stores like Wal Mart, etc. It won't hurt the paint and does a nice job. Another is common paint thinner, NOT laquer thinner, from the hardware store. Whichever you use wash the car with soap and water as usual and then wax the area where the adhesive was.

Inherited this machine from my father-in-law who bought it three years ago, and that's why it got stuck with the plaque.

A couple of years ago I specified up front that my new Intrigue was to not have any dealer decals affixed to it upon taking delivery of it. They obliged me. The license plate frame with their name on it was easily removed.

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly

Hair dryer and a PLASTIC putty knife works great. WD-40 will take off any residue left over.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Just use the plastic putty knife to gently pry it off, not scrape.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Use dental floss to remove it from the body and then remove the adhesive with Goo Gone or something like it.

Reply to
eihab

Waterless hand cleaner, or real Mayonaise works well. Mayonaise has enzynes which work wonders on dissolving glue, best to do it on warm sunny day.

Reply to
451 CTDS

Reply to
Mike Levy

And be sure to lick it all off while it is still cold. Mayo spoils fast and you could end up with salmonella.

Neat tip though !

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly

Reply to