Repair Exhaust By Brazing with Mapp Torch?

I've got a crack in an exhaust downpipe bracket that holds the O2 sensor for the cat. Looks like one side of the original weld broke off the bracket and left about 1/8" opening in the pipe. Anyone have experience using Mapp gas to braze an exhaust? The exhaust is used, but there is still solid metal there.

TIA

Reply to
Edge

I've seen people braze on headers before without any problems. I'm not sure how hot you need to be at to braze. You might need to use just more then mapp gas. I would try it on something before your car and see if it works.

Reply to
scrapir

Some plumbers torches are hot enough, some not quite, but close. If torch can melt rod, doesn't mean it can get metal hot enough for brass to flow. Oxy Acetylence is best choice. Check with local muffler shops, they MIG weld muffler metal, a MIG weld would be superior to brazing. If it was my car, I'd make up a sheet metal patch, and hose clamp it into place. [ winter repair ]

Reply to
451ctds