Replace battery on 2000 Lumina sedan

Bought a 2000 Lumina with 20K for cheap at a US gov fleet auction, and a few days later it wouldn't start (low battery). Jumped it, and started up fine again after a ten mile drive, but this morning battery is low again (reading only 9 volts). I think it's the original battery so probably six years old and ready to replace. With the car running I was reading 13.8V at the battery but from other discussions here several guys said 13.6 -13.8 was normal even though I always thought it should be around 14.5, so I'm assuming the alternater is ok. Then I discovered what a b*&!* it is to get to the battery which is hidden under the washer fluid reservoir. Took off the support bar, loosened the fuse box, got the reservoir out (after discovering it's held in the front with two plastic rivets that refuse to go back in, - who designs these things?), took off the two top screws of the metal battery retaining bracket and then discovered it takes an extra long extension to get to its bottom screw (who designs these things?). Got that screw off, thinking the bracket would easily come out , but no, the air intake assembly is in the way. Since I don't have a service manual for this car I get anxious when I start to disassemble stuff without knowing if I'm going to suddenly pop something and end up with pieces that I have no idea how to put back together or that might fly apart and end up lost in the engine compartment. The air intake assembly has two large hose clamps on it - does anybody know which of these needs to be loosened to be able to move the front of the air intake assembly out of the way so I can remove the battery bracket? I'm thinking it's the one in front of what looks like an electronic air flow regulator assembly, but just want to make sure it won't screw anything up taking that off. Yes, I'm ordering a shop manual. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
longjohnmaniac

Shep

Reply to
longjohnmaniac

No, he was talking about exactly what he said. Some GM radios have a sec. code so that if it is stolen, it won't play unless the thief finds the sec. code to re-enter. These cars 'drop' this code when battery is removed & no power is going to radio, & u need it to make radio play when new batt. is installed. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

OK, thanks, just discovered the Theftlock system instructions. Not nice if the previous owner enables that and forgets to tell the new owner what code they picked. Apparently it wasn't enabled since the radio still works. By the way, now that I know how to do it, I might as well post the PROCEDURE FOR LUMINA BATTERY REMOVAL:

  1. Remove three bolts (13mm) from support bar on top of washer fluid reservoir
  2. Remove bolt/screws/plastic rivets that hold the washer fluid reservoir and remove reservoir, disconnecting electrical pump from the reservoir if necessary, and being careful that the remote positive terminal on the adjacent fuse box is covered with something (like duct tape) if the original cover is missing, to prevent accidental shorting.
  3. Disconnect the battery negative post (8mm) and battery positive post (8mm) being careful that the post bolts don't fall out in the process, and making sure the radio Theftlock code is known or hasn't been enabled (see owner's manual)
  4. Remove screws/bolts from the metal battery retaining bracket - the
13mm bolt on the bottom requires a very long socket extension.
  1. Remove the nuts from the fuse box that was previously mentioned adjacent to the rear of the washer fluid reservoir, so that the fuse box can be moved and secured out of the way.
  2. Carefully move the positive battery cable out of the way, which is essential, and should enable you, with much wiggling and maneuvering, to eventually get the battery retaining bracket out by moving the bottom of the bracket toward the front of the vehicle - note that there is a cup on the retaining bracket that supports but isn't attached to the air intake assembly, which cup support is what makes removing this bracket so difficult. If all else fails, loosen and move the front part of the air intake assembly out of the way, but this shouldn't be necessary if you're persistent.
  3. Lift battery out at an angle - it won't come out straight up.
  4. Curse the GM idiot that devised this insane state of affairs.
  5. Install new battery and other hardware by reversing these steps, being sure to repeat step 8.

sdlomi2 wrote:

Reply to
longjohnmaniac