Replace brake pads, Should I put in new Rotors too?

My car is a few years old, and now replacing front brake pads. The rotors are marginally ok, should I replace them? or will the new pad mold to the slight ripple in the rotors?

Reply to
PDI

Mike Levy

Save yourself the hassle of replacing the rotors and pads again in six months or a year. If they look marginal replace them. Every one I have had turned start pulsing within a year. They are cheap enough.

Reply to
Woody

if you have ripples in the rotors then they need to be turned(machined) and it they are worn too much then you need new ones.. autozone got them for about $26-$35 each depending on what car they are for.... i would go for the rotors as most shops now charge $10 or more to turn rotors...for a few bucks more you get new ones.....

Reply to
jim

Thats what I do, saves time and hassle.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

If you can see ripples in them then you should probably replace them. Rotors are fairly cheap and after they're turned, they are thinner and tend to warp much quicker than when new. Just my 2=A2. Rich B

Reply to
Rich B

Some years ago, the rule of thumb was that if you changed the brake pads when they first started to sound off, then you might be able to get away with changing just the pads and not the rotors. Of course, sometimes the rotors are already uneven. The rule of thumb was that you could have a rotor turned once, but not twice (because of thinness). I haven't had to do rotors in some years now, so I don't know how firm the rule of thumb still is.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

I'd replace the rotors (make sure you get the good-quality replacements, not the cheap ones).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Cheap ones work just fine, just dont get them turned.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

If the brakes dont pulsate now, you dont need to turn the rotors...........simple as that. Put new pads on it and be done with it.

Reply to
Scott M

If you want maximum stopping power, you want a perfectly flat rotor surface because of maximum pad to rotor contact. If you buy a new rotor, watch out for the cheap Chinese aftermarkets, although I've tried them on a vehicle with some success. When I was looking, the local auto parts store only sold two, one made in China, the other made in Mexico. I personally can't stand stuff made in either country, but that's another story.

My opinion, is that if you have the original equipment rotor, and it has only minor wear, if you get it turned at the right place (they don't remove more than is necessary), then turning it could be better than buying the lesser grade Chinese version. Some shops will take off a large amount with the rough cut, and then do a final cut. If done properly, there should only be just enough taken off to give the rotor a good, true finish.

For whatever it's worth,

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The good cheap ones are usually made in Canada and sometimes even Europe. Don't get cheap rotors from some thirld world country (i.e.- China, etc.).

I also never turn rotors. I can get new ones for my Escort for less than $20 so I certainly wouldn't turn ones that already have over

100,000 miles on them. Rotors are a wearing part.
Reply to
Childfree Scott

Reply to
Bill

My Ford factory shop manual says NOT to turn rotors unless they are deeply grooved. The directions sy to sand the rotors to remove the glaze, then install new pads. I have a '95 CV with 4-wheel discs - it stops wonderfully with the new pads and doesn't pulsate or make a sound...

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

You dont have to turn them unless they are warped or damaged in some other way like hot spots or deep grooves. If you do turn them for no good reason you are just taking off more of their thickness (and strength) making them more susceptable to warping.

Reply to
Scott M

Shops, especially the chains, seem to turn rotors take make it less likely that a customer will come back in just a few days saying that the brake pedal is pulsing. And they care charge more for the brake job by utiling the brake lathe to make $$$.

chuck

Paul of Dayt> My Ford factory shop manual says NOT to turn rotors unless they are deeply

Reply to
chuck smoko