Replace Caprice backup lights, reverse

Hi everyone, looking for a pointer on replacing my reverse lights on my 86 caprice.

Just need to swap the dead bulbs, but can't seem to find my way in. If anyone has any experienece with this, please advise.

Thanks much!

Reply to
benburns1

If your Caprice is similar to the LeSabre of that vintage I once owned you remove the whole tail light assembly by unscrewing those big black "wingnuts" inside the trunk. Do you have an arrangement like that?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I have a two(?+) wingnuts under the carpet on each side, however after loosening them, it really didn't seem to budge at all, maybe I'll go at it with a little more gusto?

The LeSabre is probably fairly close, I went to the junkyard last week, and the only match for my master window switch came out of a LeSabre.

Reply to
benburns1

I have a two wingnuts under the carpet on each side, however after loosening them, it really didn't seem to budge at all, maybe I'll go at it with a little more gusto? _____________________________________________

Look again for more nuts/wingnuts, perhaps further back along the side, before tugging too hard.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

To get to any hardware you need to move or remove all the trunk trim up against the tail panel, not just the carpet.

First study the outside of the lens. If you don't see any screws on the outside then they are on the inside.

Look underneath the car and look above the bumper between the back of the tail light assembly & rear portion of the trunk body. There might be a chance you'll see a twist out sockets for each bulb, but I doubt it the majority of cars now aday the whole assembly has to be reomved via the trunk.

I'm sure somebody with a Caprice out there will be answering your question shortly.

Good Luck

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,272 91 Bonneville LE 304,498
Reply to
Harry Face

sorry to take so long. i have an 87 caprice. to change the tail-lights i undo the screws on top that look like they just hold some chrome trim down. they also hold the tail-light assembly. there are 2 more screws towards the middle that might be for the backup lights. i don't want to try them in case i break something but you could. for sure the plastic wing-nuts that are a bit lower on the trunk wall don't do anything i can tell. ...thehick

Reply to
thehick