Replace distributor Oring on 83 2.8L

I got a leaking distributor shaft seal on an 83 2.8L 60 deg V-6. What do I need to do change out this seal?

Thanks

Perry

Reply to
Edge

"Edge" wrote

Mark the distributor so that you know where the rotor is pointing when you re-install it. Remove the distributor, pry the old seal off, install a new seal (I highly recommend that you go to a dealer and get what they now term an oil pump drive o-ring, it's tan in color and will last much longer then the old black ones) and if you want some extra insurance, purchase a small block chevy distributor gasket and install that on the distributor shaft "before" you install the new o-ring. With the new design o-ring, I don't think the gasket is necessary anymore. Re-install the dist, and check your timing.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks Ian,

From your instructions it sounds like there is no need to remove the drive gear and only the dealers (not aftermarket) have the revised seal design.

Thanks Again,

Perry

Reply to
Edge

"Edge" wrote

You can get the o-ring over the drive gear, it's quite flexible (the o-ring). I don't know what the aftermarket guys are selling, which is why I mentioned the dealer. I work at a dealership, and we have had the new updated o-ring for a few years now. Plus, even at the dealership, the o-ring is only a few dollars.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

The new design brown O-ring is available thu NAPA or CarQuest in the MotorMite line. MotorMite is the stuff often labeled "Help" and displayed on a turnstile rack.

2 O-rings, 2 bucks.
Reply to
Neil Nelson

Thanks again guys. Hopefully this will fix the oil leak and I won't need crank seals. Hard to tell with all the oil down there

Perry

Reply to
Edge