Replaced battery: radio shows "LOC"

I have a 1999 Lumina. A cell in the battery started leaking acid so I replaced the battery yesterday. I bought the car new and the battery I replaced was the one that came with the car.

When I went to turn on the radio, the digital display showed "LOC." Reading the manual, I found this to be a normal condition when power is lost then re-applied and the "password" for re-activation of the radio must be provided. I've never put a password in the radio; what came with it when I bought it was some unknown set of numbers.

I retrieved the below procedure from the Net, which was supposed to allow me to, in effect, reset the radio on my own, without having to go to a dealer.

***************************************************************** straight from the how to section of this site:

  1. Press and hold presets 2 & 3 for about 10 seconds until the first 3 digits of the display code are displayed.

  2. Write the numbers down.

  1. Press the AM/FM button, write down the next 3 numbers.

  2. Call 1-800-537-5140, when asked, enter 202107, press the # button and enter the 6 digit code from the radio, you will get an unlock code, write it down.

  1. Go back to the car, press the HR button and set the first 2 numbers, then press minute button and set the next two last numbers, press AM/FM button, SEC should be displayed, turn on radio.

To remove customers code, repeat step 5. you should see --- on radio face, the code is now out of the radio.

This procedure has not proved to be 100%. I can get the data using steps 1 through 3 OK. Calling the number in step 4 will be answered but there is no request for the 202107. And, no request for the data I previously retrieved from the radio.

I am stuck: have I done something wrong by following this procedure? Have there been any changes to the above procedure? Is there another way I can reset my radio's code on my own without going through a dealer?

I think you in advance for your help.

Reply to
chas samuels

You have to go to GM dealer to unlock it. The service cost me $50.

Les ............................................................................ ..........................................

Reply to
Heather

According to my book the theftlock feature has to be activated before the loc feature works. Therefore someone must have activated it. check all your documentation for the code. I wrote a pointer to mine in the book...

Reply to
BillW

Try using the code 0000. Many times, people activate the lock feature but leave the default code set.

Reply to
Intrigued

Reply to
Bobo