Replaced Starter in 1984 Cutlass Supreme; Now makes noise...

The starter on my 1984 Cutlass (V6 3.8L) died and I just replaced it with a new/rebuilt starter. The first 5 or 6 cranks were perfect but now it makes the same noise that it would make if you start a car that?s already started each time I crank it. Does this sound like a loose starter? or a problem with the flywheel? It never made any noise with the previous starter, it just began cranking slowly and eventually did nothing at all. Any tips would greatly be appreciated, thanks!

1984CutlassSupreme

"1984CutlassSupreme" wrote: > The starter on my 1984 Cutlass (V6 3.8L) died and I just > replaced it with a new/rebuilt starter. The first 5 or 6 > cranks were perfect but now it makes the same noise that it > would make if you start a car that's already started each time > I crank it. Does this sound like a loose starter? or a > problem with the flywheel? It never made any noise with the > previous starter, it just began cranking slowly and eventually > did nothing at all. Any tips would greatly be appreciated, > thanks! > > [img:3cfa6a9795]

> [img:3cfa6a9795]
Might have to add a starter shim to it,the starter drive maybe to close to the flywheel.Usually when you buy a starter it comes with shims that are different thickness.Also take your dust cover down and check for bad teeth on the flywheel.

Reply to
Shakes73

thanks, I appreciate the feedback. This morning i went to start the car and the sound is gone, i?ve started it several times and it seems fine...I?ll probably give it a look just incase, but thanks again! Oh and do i need to buy a specific starter shim kit? or are there universal sets available?

Reply to
1984CutlassSupreme

Maybe it's just me, but I never bought a GM starter with shims included. If the starter is machined wrongly it's cheap enough for them not to bother with shims. The shims are used to correct for block machining. When the old starter is removed you need to be aware if there are shims there and replace them. If you lost them you will need to buy some. Maybe somebody previous to the OP lost them and that's why he also had the sound with the previous starter. Most likely though the OP has problems with those flywheel teeth in one area of the circumferance. Until he engages at that bad part he doesn't hear the noise. Eventually he will be buying a flywheel and starter. If the teeth are inspected now one by one and all burrs removed, he might go happily on his way. And the new starter drive may already be damaged, but probably not. I wouldn't be starting it until I inspected it.

Reply to
Al Bundy

look and see if the ring gear is chewed up Did you put in the right amount of shims or just got a bad rebuilt

Reply to
MegroeG

"" wrote: > look and see if the ring gear is chewed up Did you put in the > right amount > of shims or just got a bad rebuilt

the starter that died had no shims and the rebuilt one i purchased didn?t come with any shims either...it?s a Palladium from Advanced Auto Parts, ran about $57 before core deduction. so it?s a possibility it?s a bad rebuilt? I keep thinking maybe the bolts werent tightened enough because my dad was the one physically removing the dead starter and installing the rebuilt....and he pretty much has no knowledge of cars lol....he drives an ?05 Focus so that should tell u something.

Reply to
1984CutlassSupreme