Replacing headlight bulbs in 2002 Olds Bravada.

Has anybody changed the lightbulbs in their Bravada (Envoy or Trailblazer)? I am thinking on going with the Slyvania Silverstar lamps so I had a quick look under the hood. Looks like it might be quite the task. Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks.

Reply to
bobjones1000

Open the hood. Pull up on the tabs that release the light housing. With housing out remove the power connector for the blown bulb. Remove the retaining ring. Remove and replace bulb. Total time for replacement about 5 minutes.

Reply to
Steve W.

That Silverstar lamp question came up in the group some time ago. As I remember, some of the more knowledgeable did not recommend them.

Daniel Stern does not post much, if at all, here anymore but he is very knowledgeable about all phases of lighting.

You might check his website

HLS

On replacing the stock lights with SilverStars, I have them in my car. I bought a set for both my (at the time) '01 Montana and '96 Bonneville. The Montana has the single-light system, where one bulb does both high and low-beam, where as the Bonneville has a single bulb for each. I only did the low beam, and am very happy with the results. They have been in there over a year and a half now, and I love the look of them, and the way they light up the road. The Montana is a different story. Though the plastic headlight covers are kind of foggy, and the Montana has the single light system, the SilverStar's still had no effect that I noticed. No brighter or whiter light, nadda. Though, they are still going strong after a year and a half(touches wood). Like I said, I love them in my Bonnie though...I guess it depends on the application.

Reply to
80 Knight

Thanks for the info. Had a look and it seems like a pretty easy change. Once I get the new bulbs in I will post a response of what I think of them.

Reply to
bobjones1000

A few thoughts on 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada head light bulb replacement.

1 Wear gloves so you don't get your finger oils on the blub. 2 The tabs to pull up are 1" wide 1/8" thick L shaped plastic and are sticking straight up from the headlight housing. 3 You have to push the tabs toward rear of car before pulling up. 4 The light housing is attached by another clip toward center of car but I was able to replace bulb without figuring out how to disconnect it. Pull the unit forward enough to get your hand behind unit 5 The electrical wires attaching the unit to the car do not come undone. 6 The bulb is inside a 3 to 4" diameter hole toward the outside of car from the wires. It should be covered by a rubber cover like a large camera lens cap. 7 To remove the bulb you have to twist the bulb and socket unit about 1/6 rotation so that the electrical wires are facing straight down. 8 Pull the unit straight back 9 Pull back on plastic tab on the side of the bulb socket and pull the bulb hard straight back. 10 The tab must be far enough back for the plastic stub to clear the hole in the tab. 11 If you attach the new bulb to the socket the wires will not be long enough for the bulb to enter the 3" hole. 12 Place the tip of the bulb inside the 3" hole before attaching the bulb to the socket. 13 Insert the bulb into the light assembly and twist about 1/6 turn (maybe 1/4) 14 Press housing unit back into place firmly to allow the tabs to lower securing the unit. 15 Hope this helps
Reply to
wiflan2