Replacing Left Power Mirror GMC Envoy

I'm looking for help on replacing a cracked heated mirror on my GMC Envoy, I picked up one off Ebay but can't seem to figure out how to get the bad one off.I have the complete housing and mirror but is there a way to pop the mirror out and exchange them or do I have pull the door panel and replace the whole deal? Thanks, WIll

Reply to
Will Reed

You can try do pull the mirror glass off, but you might break it. I'd recommend pulling the door panel and installing the whole mirror or just buying a glass from the dealer.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Its pretty easy to get just the glass off since the mirrors are so big, just move the mirror in as far as possible, and then down a little so you have a big gap between the mirror edge and the edge of the assembly, shine a light in there and you'll see a bunch of little clip looking deals holding the mirror onto the servo assembly in a circular pattern, stick a flat headed screwdriver in there and pull them up while gently pulling on the mirror, after you get 4-5 of them released, the mirror will pretty much just come off.

Reply to
Paradox

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

The glass itself is siliconed or glued to the plastic retainer, which clips into the servo assembly, which is screwed into the mirror assembly, which is bolted to the car door :D

Reply to
Paradox

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

A fellow Towman. I knew I liked you for some reason. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

GW

You broke mirror glass !? Uh oh 7 years bad luck. 95 to 02.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~283,488 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Yeah, 7 years or 72,000 miles.

Reply to
Paradox

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

GW

I wish it was 1991 - No internet in my life back then meant no GW no PDX & no D Smith !

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~283,783 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

No internet in 1991?!?!?!?! You have been sadly misinformed my friend. My dad, was bringing home printouts of rec.autos.tech in the late 1980's. Of course Bell Labs (now Lucent Technologies) was a little ahead of the average bear on such matters. GW

Harry Face wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

reread his post.... "No internet in my life back then" that doesn't say anything about the internet not existing...

personally I've been online since '92 before the web was even interesting.. oh the days.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Early 90's was a golden age of the internet...

Reply to
Paradox