Reports: GM in talks to buy Chrysler Group

Reports: GM in talks to buy Chrysler Group http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/16/news/companies/chrysler_gm/index.htm?cnn=yes
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors is in talks to buy DaimlerChrysler
AG's struggling Chrysler group in its entirety, according to several reports.
According to the reports, sources in Germany and the United States said high-level talks between GM (up $0.16 to $36.60, Charts) and DaimlerChrysler (up $2.50 to $72.75, Charts) executives are taking place.
Chrysler Group announced Wednesday it would be cutting about 13,000 workers over the next three years as a part of a restructuring plan. Reports also said its German parent was considering selling or spinning off the unit.
Talks of an alliance between GM and DaimlerChrysler was first reported last week in Germany's Manager-Magazin.
Chrysler's Valentine's Day massacre The German publication said DaimlerChrysler Chairman Dieter Zetsche had met with GM Chairman Rick Wagoner about a possible sale of Chrysler to the automaker.
Other unnamed sources said to be familiar with the discussions confirmed the reports for Reuters and the industry newspaper Automotive News.
DaimlerChrysler employed J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. to consider options for the Chrysler Group, to help the automaker explore strategic options, according to reports.
But others are also skeptical on whether the discussions are real.
"This would be a at least $5 billion plus deal and GM is not that liquid right now," John Casesa said, an automotive analyst with Cases Strategic Advisors LLC. "I'm not convinced at all and I think it's unlikely."
Officials for DaimlerChrysler and GM issued no comments on the reports.
DaimlerChrysler has long tried to reverse the drop in sales with previous cost-cutting moves but slipped into the No. 4 spot last year behind Toyota (down $0.37 to $136.40, Charts) in the United States.
Renault Nissan's (down $0.16 to $23.32, Charts) Chief Executive Officer Carlos Ghosn expressed interest in the past in buying the automaker.
-- "The king of Israel answered, "Tell him: 'One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off."
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:51:58 -0500, Jim Higgins got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Hmm... I was wondering that after I read Diamler AG was having issues with the Chrysler unit.
Hey, does that mean I can put a Duramax in the next Jeep Liberty?
Cool!
--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos

Hey! That (insert Gm vehicle here) got a Hemi in it?
David Starr wrote:

Based on historical precedent, I predict that GM would kill off every decent engine in the Chrysler family and continue using the small block Chevy engine universally.
RIP Olds, Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac etc...
nate
(whose dad had an Olds with a 330, sucker just kept on tickin')
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel