Request information on Pontiac with 2.4L engine

I am considering to purchase a used Pontiac Sunfire 2000 model that is fully equipped including 2.4L engine with automatic transmission from a co-worker.
This vehicle does not have factory warranty anymore. The good point is that it has less than 60,000Km which is very low for the year. It is a single owner and is in an extremely clean condition. I have done some research (read few used car book as well as "Jacques Duval" author of new/used car book. I am confuse a bit about reliability index as it does not differentiate clearly to me which motor is a problematic. For example 2.2L or 2.4L engine that has a problem. I have a few friends that has a 1997 Sunfire and he said he never has any engine problem. He has 2.2L engine with manual transmission. My other friend has a Cavalier 95 has head gasket problem. But their cars is an older model and I am wondering if that even represent for what I am looking for. Jacques Duval said automatic transmission is very fragile. He does not mention anything about automatic transmission for 2.2 or for 2.4L if this is matter? Assuming it is, does it apply to 2000 model such as the one I am looking for? I want to buy an automatic transmission because of traction control option and from what I am being told that is only available to model with automatic transmission. What exactly does Jacques Duval refer to as fragile transmission?
If you have experience of knowledge about this specific powertrain (2.4L with automatic) such as problems that I should be aware off before consider purchase this vehicle please share it with me.
Thx, PN
P.N wrote:

In that year, both the 2.2 and the 2.4 engines don't really have any terrible problems. The 2.2 still does have some problems with the head gasket, but we don't see them failing nearly as often as the older ones. The 2.4 is pretty solid, water pumps that leak can be a problem, and it's a very expensive repair. We've also had a few that leak oil from the camshaft housing gaskets and this is also quite expensive.
I haven't really seen any problems with the auto transmissions. Not quite sure what "Jacque" is talking about. Maybe there are more problems as the mileage goes up, as we don't see too many J-body cars when they go off warranty.
Ian

See if you can get an extended warranty for it, It'll be worth the $1-2K if you plan to keep it relatively long.
Thanks for the information. This newsgroup is awesome when come to information such as this. I decide to purchase the car and so far I am quite happy with it.

That particular engine has many labor intensive operations. I have changed many water pumps and it is not cheap. I think the car is reliable. But if you want to keep it for a long time, I wouls stay away from the 2.4. I have not seen the trans as fragile.

fully
co-worker.
that
2.2L
gasket
automatic
it
am
consider
P.N wrote:

2.4s are prone to the water pumps failing, and I've heard of a lot with the Timing chain breaking...I have a 2002 Sunfire GT 2.4 with 6000 km of warranty left, and I'm not keeping it past the 100k. Hello 98 Nissan Maxima.