Resistance is futile

http://www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?id 357
Auto industry analyst Rob Golding...observed that the financial markets appear to have heavily backed the Japanese carmakers to succeed in the
long-term.
"What is truly staggering is the degree to which shareholders still believe that in the mass market, it is really only the Japanese who are a guaranteed, all-weather money-making machine. [In terms of market capitalization] Toyota is worth a whopping $192 billion and Honda is worth $63 billion. Nissan, despite its recent fall from grace, is worth $45 billion.
"Toyota is worth more than the entire European car industry put together - Daimler included. Honda is worth more than Ford [$16.5 billion], GM [$17.7 billion] and the Korean stocks [Hyundai and Kia] put together, and Nissan could vacuum up all of the new companies in China and India without pausing for a share issue." =========Market caps as of the close of trading, 21 May 2007
Resistance is futile....sounds like a Borg Warning
| Resistance is futile....sounds like a Borg Warning | |
Um...I thought that was why he said it that way.
But then, I'm a Trekkie, so...
Natalie

So that makes him a Borg Warner?? ;>)
| | "Wickeddoll"... | >
| > | Resistance is futile....sounds like a Borg Warning | > | | > | | > | > Um...I thought that was why he said it that way. | > | > But then, I'm a Trekkie, so... | > | > Natalie | > | | So that makes him a Borg Warner?? ;>) | |
OK, you have this coming:
*fwap*
Natalie

It was good for me;>)
Wickeddoll wrote:

A Borg is never lonely.
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/FWAP

No, he is just transmitting his opinion. Double tap

9mm

CZ-PO1
Double Tap wrote:

Yeah, it definitely was a transmission problem....
"Steve" ...

How dare you guys make this *on*-topic for cars!
Natalie

baliff, whack his pee pee! (i'm a pythoner, myself.)
| In article : | | > | > | >"Wickeddoll" ... | >>
Me too!
Oops- this *started* as a car topic...
Natalie
message

I don't think that's all that interesting of an observation. GM literally has borrowed all it can, and Ford has too. The market is really forced to accept that, if the bank says so. Does that make sense? If I borrow all the bank will let me, then my net worth has gotta be near zero. The bank says so, and everybody else better go along.
The deciding factor is not the markets, it's when the bank starts getting scared.
"Joe" <... | | "George Orwell" | > | > Auto industry analyst Rob Golding...observed that the financial markets | > appear to have heavily backed the Japanese carmakers to succeed in the | > long-term. | > | | I don't think that's all that interesting of an observation. GM literally | has borrowed all it can, and Ford has too. The market is really forced to | accept that, if the bank says so. Does that make sense? If I borrow all | the bank will let me, then my net worth has gotta be near zero. The bank | says so, and everybody else better go along. | | The deciding factor is not the markets, it's when the bank starts getting | scared. | | But what scares them? Bad business, no?
Natalie

getting
Sometimes it makes one wonder, Natalie....We have seen people like Donald Trump get up projects in which he risks none of his money, and when they fail (as happened a few years ago) the banks and investors lose millions. Still, he can always get people to put money into his projects, I guess because he wins more than he loses.
People dont really believe that GM or Ford will really go down for the count. Historically, it has been rare for this to happen to such large industries. But it HAS happened.
Time will tell.
Could break up/be broken up.
DAS
[...]
> People dont really believe that GM or Ford will really go down for the

Those are possibilities. If they choose to take bankruptcy, then stocks can become worthless, contracts can be cancelled, and the company may be allowed to reorganized without harrassment by creditors...
An example of a company that went to hell in a handbasket was PanAm...Even restructuring under bankruptcy protection couldnt save them.