Retained Accessory Power Help

I was wondering if anybody can give me some information on Retained Accessory Power (RAP).

I'm trying to find a way to wire my XM radio to turn off as how the current stock radio in my 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier turns off.

The current stock radio that's in there stays on after I turn off the car and until I open the door, and I would like my XM radio to get its power that way as well.

I'm not able to find a fuse that stays on after I turn off the car and turns off after I open the door, and I'm not sure where to look or how to do this.

Does anybody know where I can tap off of so I can wire my XM radio to use the Retained Accessory Power feature?

Any helps or hints are appreciated.

Reply to
lantel

If you have power windows, are they on the RAP circuit as well? If they are, that would help narrow down your search, since there are only a few wires that go into the door, and one of them should stay powered with the car off until the door is opened.

If not, I'd suggest turning off your car, pulling the stock radio out (leaving the wiring harness connected), and probe all the wires until you find the ones that have power (there should be at least two). Then open the door and re-test the wires that had power previously. One of them should have lost power when you opened the door, and that would be the one to tap into.

Reply to
Scott Gardner

Please note that the radio gets the RAP signal over the class 2 serial data line from the Body Control Module. Unless you get inside the radio and somehow tap off its internal power bus I don't think your XM plans are going to come to fruition. See description from the service manual below.

Document ID# 853000

2000 Chevrolet/Geo Cavalier

Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Description

Serial Data Controlled Retained Accessory Power, RAP Retained accessory power, RAP is a vehicle power mode that permits the operation of selected customer convenience items after the ignition switch is turned OFF. These selected items will remain in operation until a passenger compartment door is opened or until the RAP function timer reaches its shut-off limit.

The Audio system on this vehicle is the only device that is controlled by RAP.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

i just soldered a wire to the wiper fuse for my 12v acc wire for the new stereo and all works fine this was for a sunfire but same for cavalier

Reply to
chrisn