REV limiter on 98 grand am gt

I was wondering how I disabled the rev limiter on this car, and the thing that limits the car to its top speed.

I have no idea how you did it.
Dave
I want to disable it, not that I already have, sorry, in a hurry a bit ago had to type fast.

Re program the pcm.

-

Well, I believe the cut-off speed for this vehicle is somewhere in the order of 170-180km/h. The limit is there to prevent you from exceeding the speed rating of the tires on your car. So make sure you put on a set of Z or Y rated tires before you replace/reprogram your EPROM.
Also keep in mind that law enforcement personnel usually frown upon driving any faster that the posted speed limit and have been known to relieve people of their license on the spot for driving "in extreme excess" of the posted limit.
Oh ya, and you could die, or worse, kill someone else.
This is unless you are using this vehicle off-highway, for racing or whatever, then have fun. ;)
Steve
Do your parents know what you are up to trying to make car faster so you drag race your buddies in their rice burners and what will happen to their insurance rates when you crash and hurt yourself and any one in your way?
Adam wrote:

My parents>?! I insure my own vehicles, I find the REV limiter an annoyance. I do drive on the interstate quite often and I find that 105 mph, sometimes isnt fast enough.

Thats nuts!

-
Sounds like Adam needs a rev limiter set to about 55 mph. He has no clue about proper car prep for sustained high speed driving.
Let alone training to do it without endangering others.

You have no right to put the safety of other road users at risk to satisfy your own illegal desires. When I see idiots like you driving in ways that do that, I make sure to make the extra effort to see them busted. You can't outrun radio waves.
I encourage everyone else to likewise see these selfish fools get what they deserve.

I think autozone sells a device that plugs into the computer, that will let you make the changes you asked about. They should know what you need. Make sure you don't set the speed beyond the rating of your tires.
I understand the speed rating, no this car isnt used for racing, it is a stock V6 in which I drive frquently on the interstate in various states, especially in kentucky and west virginia were people dont care how fast they go on the open roads, they travel between 80 and 120 on big interstates. So this isnt somthing I'm wanting to risk lives doing, maybe my own in a way but no one else.

Here in Canada the average speed on the QEW or any other major HWY in the slow lane is 120Kph, passing lanes are 140kph plus and you can get a ticket for not getting out of the way or holding up traffic. Germany has no limit and we're getting close to that so it would seem. Haven't you guys heard of " I can't drive 55 mph?" Women pass me at 140km. Go figure!! No one gets a ticket if you're not exceeding 120kph. What's up in your state?

In Indiana no one cares if ur going under the speed limit unless ur on a moped or somthing. I dont know about Germany but I'd sure love to try out that Auto Bahn!

Pssssst Adam... the Auto Bahn *is* in Germany.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

But the original posted was talking that 105 MILES per hour was not fast enough. 100 KPH = 62 MPH as I recall. In most of the US, now, the highway speeds are either 65 MPH or 70 MPH. So that's on par with 120 KPH on the QEW.