Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

Good to see that you have a sense of humour, Ed. At home, the Camry is always garaged--your point is well taken.

Reply to
Sharx35

Nate, I wasn't dissing sports cars for others--when I was younger I had some sportier vehicles such as a 74 Dodge Challenger Rallye and a 65 Plymouth Barracuda. But, that was then, this is now. Now, I like a smoother ride, less road noise etc etc. I drool at vehicles like the Aston Martin line, for example.

Reply to
Sharx35

Indeed!

Reply to
Sharx35

It wouldn't matter if you paid in gold. A 17 year old Honda is true garbage.

Reply to
80 Knight

Hi JOAT - true, they are notable, but for all but the most eccentric, they aren't cars that one would one would be driving at 17 years of age. Still goes back to the matter of them being a 17 year old car, regardless of what notable contribution they may have made to the annals of automotive history.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

And what does that have to do with the discussion? It must impress you greatly, for you to capitalize the word cash. Is it that you somehow feel unique in paying cash for things?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Now we've gotten to where you really live. You're impressed with yourself, and quickly succumb to childish postures when others around you aren't equally impressed. Carry on - you've become quite amusing.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:17426$49eb0cd5$471fb9ee$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

The "antique" or "Classic" appelation is beside the point.

To the purists, anything post-war is considered "modern". No post-war car is "antique" or "Classic".

You're absolutely right that a 17 year-old Honda or Toyota is "just an old car". So were Model A's and '57 Chevrolets at one time too. All cars go through the "just an old car" phase before a few of them eventually get famous and valuable.

Reply to
Tegger

"80 Knight" wrote in news:CpudnddwRtuv23HUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Hey, that wasn't nice! You just hurt my 18 year-old Integra's feelings!

Reply to
Tegger

Agreed, yes, a 17 year old HONDA is pure garbage. My TEN year old vehicle is a CAMRY.

Reply to
Sharx35

AH, nothing personal, Tegger.

Reply to
Sharx35

Quite true - but my point was simply a response to a red herring interjected into the conversation which introduced the terms and concepts of antiques and classics.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

A 15 year old Toyota or Honda is just getting broken in. Most price comparisons of Toyotas and Hondas versus Fords and Chevys leave out one key factor in the equation, and that's that you'll need two of the Fords or Chevys to last as long as one of the Toyotas or Hondas.

Reply to
SMS

Really bad bait. That bait has long passed its expiration date. Not to mention that it's been used so many times, all the game fish are wise to it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Red Herring def. When used by an asshole, it means that the OP has scored a debating point.

Reply to
Sharx35

Have a great day!

Reply to
Sharx35

Ahhhh, I see you reveal yourself for what you are... Uneducated, intolerant and just a general doofus!

Congratulations!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Well, we're talkin' 25 to 26 years of age here. And, the great thing is that they are "old school," I.E., no computer, no "check engine" light and even lack a PCV valve. Just right for an old fart like me to maintain and repair which really doesn't happen very often.

Sometimes the latest and greatest ain't really so...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Still lots of late 1980's to early 1990's Accords and Camrys on the road, still fetching 2-4K on the used market. You have to chuckle when you see the ads from Ford and GM trying to compare initial purchase prices of new vehicles, i.e. the Malibu, since they are forced to leave longevity out of the equation. It's not just having to purchase 2x the number of vehicles for the same time period, it's the resale value if you do choose to sell after only 8-10 years.

Reply to
SMS

You're onto something here.

I often have people refer to my old, (1955 & 1956), Studebakers as "Classics" which is just not so.

In fact, the Classic era covers the period from about 1927 to about 1948 and only unique cars (styling and engineering) are considered "full classics." This is high brow shit and when I bought a 1931 Studebaker President Q4 coupe about ten years ago I started to practice holdin' up my end pinkies when sippin' high tea.

There's nuthin' like invoking the term "full classic" to start all kinds of flame wars. Some folks just like denying the truth even though is has snob appeal.

Needless to say, I never got around to restoring the car and sold it about three years ago. Now, I'm content with playin' around with the two "modern" Studebakers and a small flock of Gen II Honda Civics...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire