Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

Page 3 of 5

Hi JOAT - true, they are notable, but for all but the most eccentric, they aren't cars that one would one would be driving at 17 years of age. Still goes back to the matter of them being a 17 year old car, regardless of what notable contribution they may have made to the annals of automotive history.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Well, we're talkin' 25 to 26 years of age here. And, the great thing is that they are "old school," I.E., no computer, no "check engine" light and even lack a PCV valve. Just right for an old fart like me to maintain and repair which really doesn't happen very often.
Sometimes the latest and greatest ain't really so...
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Still lots of late 1980's to early 1990's Accords and Camrys on the road, still fetching 2-4K on the used market. You have to chuckle when you see the ads from Ford and GM trying to compare initial purchase prices of new vehicles, i.e. the Malibu, since they are forced to leave longevity out of the equation. It's not just having to purchase 2x the number of vehicles for the same time period, it's the resale value if you do choose to sell after only 8-10 years.

What you say makes sense--too made some are too dense to understand your comments.
Sharx35 wrote:

Actually I think that most people do understand the whole longevity versus initial purchase price issue, but they either don't care about that aspect of ownership, or they don't want to admit that their long-held beliefs have been debunked.
SMS wrote:

or they don't believe that *any* car will last significantly longer than the warranty... I used to believe it was true but even brands I used to know and trust (VW, BMW, etc.) have "turned Japanese" and over-contented their vehicles to the point that they're all one big unrepairable mass of electronics.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I don't think that anyone's dumb enough to believe that. Also realize that many vehicles have very long power train warranties these days, especially certified used vehicles.
SMS wrote:

My neighbor who likes to fiddle with old (pre 1963) cars occasionally has to work on his mother's late 1980ish Oldsmobile with a Quad Four engine. Car only has about 80K on the odometer yet it runs like shit and is next to impossible to diagnose or repair. Freakin' thing has been laid up for months!
Everything is in the way of everything else. Industrial engineering at GM??? Not as far as I can see...
<sigh>
JT

Do you realize how foolish you make yourself look when you compair 2009 vehicles to 1980's vehicles?
80 Knight wrote:

Went right over your li'l haid, eh?
JT

You ARE an old fart?? Could a fooled me. Figured as much because of your grumpiness!! ROFL.

It wouldn't matter if you paid in gold. A 17 year old Honda is true garbage.

Hey, that wasn't nice! You just hurt my 18 year-old Integra's feelings!
--
Tegger

AH, nothing personal, Tegger.
Tegger wrote:

Fear not as by doing so, you have defeated the thinking of them thar' PHd economists who calculate how often fools trade in their current ride only to become a slave to the finance company.
Not many people have their priorities straight these days...
JT

But that is what I have been saying in many of my posts!! And you complained to me.

Agreed, yes, a 17 year old HONDA is pure garbage. My TEN year old vehicle is a CAMRY.

You still can't polish a turd.

And what does that have to do with the discussion? It must impress you greatly, for you to capitalize the word cash. Is it that you somehow feel unique in paying cash for things?