RKE

I need to know if I can program my remote for my 1998 Seville without a dealer? I have seen places to buy a new aftermarket remote that say they will tell me how to do it, but I do not want them, I want the original
remotes to work the car. Can anyone help me? I maybe able to get a scan tool, but did not want to have to do that. Someone told me that a series of on, off with the key and hold down buttons on the remote might do it, but he does not know exact process.
Thanks for any help, Rich
I think the Tech 2 is the only way to do it.
On some cars, a series of magic button presses/ignition cycles (differening depending on model and year) can do it, but on this particular car, it looks like the remote transmitters can only be programmed with a Tech 2 scan tool.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
It can be done without a Tech-2. The only problem is that nearly every year GM, make and model, changes the procedure... My 2000 Grand Prix required removing a fuse, locking and unlocking doors, turning the key off and on and then holding the lock and unlock buttons on the remote... Hopefully there is a GM Tech on this board or a locksmith that has the procedure for your car...

of
he
I looked in the GM service info, Tech-2 is needed. This is likely due to the settings memory setup, where if you use remote 1 it sets the car up for that driver, remote 2 sets it up for the other driver.
On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:12:26 GMT, "Mike Gercevich"

My manual tells me the same thing, IF I have a tech 2 I could do it. But currently I do not. Is a reader the same thing? or do I need the real deal Tech 2?
Thanks, Rich

but
Sorry about the misinformation. This year and newer do require the use of a Tech-2, or some other device to program additional RKEs to the body control module.
A Tech-2 and a generic OBD-2 Code reader are not the same thing. The Tech-2 costs over $15K and does much more than read DTCs and reset the check engine (MIL) light. You could build your own tool using an ELM322 chip and about $30 worth of parts from RadioShack and a laptop with a serial port, but you would still need to know the ODB-2 function code(s) to set the vehicle into RKE Learning Mode. Not sure if you have any programming knowledge. Trust me, it's not an easy task to reverse engineer GM proprietary ODB-2 communications.
If these are the original remote units for this vehicle, the codes are already stored in the BCMs memory and they should not need to be 're-learned'. When you change the battery in the remotes, you need to 're-synchronize the remote to the vehicle by holding down the Lock/Unlock buttons... You may want to try that first before you dump $40 per remote at the dealer.
-Mike

they
scan
series
Does anyone have plans to make such a device? Or how about a different device I can hook to my laptop. I am just plain afraid of throwing money away and buying the wrong equipment for such a small problem. and yes, I know I can go to my dealer for this problem and under $100.00 have this one fixed. BUT what about the next time. My computer skills are great and Mechanic skills are above average for a non certified mechanic.
Thanks again for all the help you can provide.
Rich

without
original
it,
Here is the data sheet that has a basic circuit design at the tail end... I built mine for under $30 total.
-Mike

say
Mike, I did not get any info from this. Do you have plans to make one??
Rich

do
Sorry, I must have forgotten to attach the URL...
http://www.elmelectronics.com/DSheets/ELM322DS.pdf
-Mike

that
get