Runaway Toyota cases ignored

What a bunch of sleaze bags. I hope people will boycott Toyota over this.

Runaway Toyota cases ignored

More than 1,000 Toyota and Lexus owners have reported since 2001 that their vehicles suddenly accelerated on their own, in many cases slamming into trees, parked cars and brick walls, among other obstacles, a Times review of federal records has found...

Reply to
Tim

They probably think the same as I, that clumsey owners with big feet put the hammer down accidentally, and that isn't Toyota's fault.

If you have a car that still came with a throttle cable or linkage, there is no way for it to do this unless a fat foot pushes on the wrong pedal.

Reply to
Scott

And only Toyota owners do this in these numbers?

Reply to
Tim

Wait until you know what is really going on before you make up your mind. At this point, NONE of us knows what is really going on.

Reply to
hls

Uh there most certainly is a way for it to happen. Ever heard of cruise control? It is very possible for a cruise control to malfunction and pull the throttle open.

Reply to
Steve W.

It's peoples dumb wives and stupid kids, they aren't going to admit they ran the car into something, if cruise controls could do this they would have been crashing retirees in Cadillacs into poles for 40 years.

Reply to
Scott

I had an '83 Cutlass that would accelerate with the cruise control on, no matter what speed you tried to set it at. Set it, cruise took over and held for 15 to 30 seconds and then it would accelerate. It could be knocked off by hitting the switch or brake pedal though. I'd have to say it is "possible" that some cars could be taken on a ride, but you also have to use your brain and shift to neutral or turn the ignition off.

At the time this was happening the car was 12+ years old, lots of miles and a step away from the junk yard so I never tried to fix it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And since no one is investigating, when exactly will that be?

Reply to
Tim

You really think no one is investigating this?

Reply to
hls

OR if they are not smart enough to place the car in neutral and apply the brakes if one looses throttle control.

But then again, how smart can one be to pay 20% to 30% more to drive home any comparably equipped car, of the same size?

Toyota makes good stuff, by why would anyone pay that much extra to buy a car that is demonstrably no better than average?

Mike Hunter

I guess he has never heard the term "Shark Lawyers."

Reply to
Mike Hunter

No its not. Any time the speed of the vehicle can not sustain or it exceeds the "set speed," the cruise control will automatically disengage by design regardless of the throttle position.

Mike Hunter

That was back in the day when cruise was controlled by vacuum. Todays Digital systems can not do that.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:26:03 -0500, Tim fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

The one I heard on the radio - where the 911 caller died while slamming at 120+ into another car - had the driver saying he'd tried to shift out of gear and to turn off the car after the brakes stopped working, having been burnt down by the engine.

Sad.

Reply to
PerfectReign

BULL. I have seen them malfunction and open the throttle when the system wasn't even ON. This is why it is called a FAILURE, because the system is not designed to operate this way.

How about the VERY common problem of ABS activation on dry roads caused by rust between the sensor and the hub on GM vehicles. When it happens you can stand on the pedal and not even slow the vehicle down. I suppose this cannot happen either, and yet there are numerous TSBs about it.

Reply to
Steve W.

They certainly can, that is why it is called a malfunction.

Reply to
Steve W.

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:09:37 +0000, PerfectReign fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Here's the audio of that article:

(long version)

?feed=&article=&mps=BillHandel.php&mid=http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/LOSANGELES-CA/KFI-AM/Handel0930097A.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=LOSANGELES-CA&NG_FORMAT&SITE_ID=616&STATION_ID=KFI-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=KFI_AM_640&PCAST_CAT=Arts_and_Entertainment&PCAST_TITLE=KFI_AM_640_BILL_HANDEL

Reply to
PerfectReign

YA RIGHT.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

YA RIGHT

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That would make a good story were it not for RPM limiters in todays cars LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter