Runaway Toyota cases ignored

Page 1 of 3
What a bunch of sleaze bags. I hope people will boycott Toyota over this.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-fi-toyota-recall8-2009nov08%2C0%2C6120294.story
Runaway Toyota cases ignored
More than 1,000 Toyota and Lexus owners have reported since 2001 that their vehicles suddenly accelerated on their own, in many cases slamming into trees, parked cars and brick walls, among other obstacles, a Times review of federal records has found...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-fi-toyota-recall8-2009nov08%2C0%2C6120294.story
They probably think the same as I, that clumsey owners with big feet put the hammer down accidentally, and that isn't Toyota's fault.
If you have a car that still came with a throttle cable or linkage, there is no way for it to do this unless a fat foot pushes on the wrong pedal.
Scott wrote:

And only Toyota owners do this in these numbers?

Wait until you know what is really going on before you make up your mind. At this point, NONE of us knows what is really going on.
hls wrote:

And since no one is investigating, when exactly will that be?
wrote in message news:8b253$4afca4ab$cef8ac46

You really think no one is investigating this?
I guess he has never heard the term "Shark Lawyers."
wrote in message news:8b253$4afca4ab$cef8ac46

Scott wrote:

Uh there most certainly is a way for it to happen. Ever heard of cruise control? It is very possible for a cruise control to malfunction and pull the throttle open.
--
Steve W.

It's peoples dumb wives and stupid kids, they aren't going to admit they ran the car into something, if cruise controls could do this they would have been crashing retirees in Cadillacs into poles for 40 years.

I had an '83 Cutlass that would accelerate with the cruise control on, no matter what speed you tried to set it at. Set it, cruise took over and held for 15 to 30 seconds and then it would accelerate. It could be knocked off by hitting the switch or brake pedal though. I'd have to say it is "possible" that some cars could be taken on a ride, but you also have to use your brain and shift to neutral or turn the ignition off.
At the time this was happening the car was 12+ years old, lots of miles and a step away from the junk yard so I never tried to fix it.
That was back in the day when cruise was controlled by vacuum. Todays Digital systems can not do that.
wrote in message

Mike Hunter wrote:

They certainly can, that is why it is called a malfunction.

--
Steve W.

YA RIGHT
wrote in message

Mike Hunter wrote:

Toyota just announce that it is recalling up to 4,000,000 vehicles because of this.
I had no idea Toyota was recalling up to 4,000,000 vehicles because the cruise control was causing the car to accelerate. What I read was Toyota was recalling up to 4,000,000 vehicles because of numeracy complaints, to the NHTSA, that the rubber floor mats were jamming the accelerator. just goes to shoe one can not believe everything one reads in the newspapers ;)
wrote in message

Wow! If that is, indeed, true, it means the the number of vehicles Toyota has recalled in the past few years is literally in the tens of millions..
Doesn't sound like they are the "king of relibility" to me. Wonder who CR will annoint that honor to next?
Doesn't sound like they are the "king of relibility" to me. Wonder who CR will annoint that honor to next?
***** Ford just recalled a huge number as well.. 4.5 million?
Reliability is quite different from safety. GM dodged recalls for years on reliability grounds, but the law and its consequences put the onus on manufacturers to deal with perceived safety issues.
wrote in message

Toyota is recalling 4 million to fix the accelerator pedal. This makes them the king of recalls the past few years, but this group finds ways to make it a negative on ford and GM. Keep supporting foreign companys make ours look bad no matter what it is. Tell me would you like to live in the US and Canada or Japan Korea or China, if the latter, don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Not a recall, at least not yet
"According to the report, it is likely that Toyota will voluntarily repair or replace the accelerators out of approximately 4 million vehicles in the US. The report suggests that Toyota preferred this solution as they do not believe that the vehicles' pedals are defective - and thus do no warrant an official recallAccording to the report, it is likely that Toyota will voluntarily repair or replace the accelerators out of approximately 4 million vehicles in the US. The report suggests that Toyota preferred this solution as they do not believe that the vehicles' pedals are defective - and thus do no warrant an official recall"