Running an amber light

What exactly does this mean? I thought it was legal to go through an amber light but there seems to be a charge of running an amber. I thought amber meant proceede with caution.

OK, did you get a citation (ticket?) and if so what was the law referenced? I'd say this is probably an ON problem, certainly not something that is a factor for peopel who are to the south of you. <g> As to what happens when the light turns red when you are in the interesection, the last time I checked (and this was a while ago, so it may have changed!) was if the light changes red while you are in the intersection you must proceed through, but you are still in violation. You either violate the red light rule, or the blocking the intersection rule. But that probably doesn't apply anymore, and I have never heard of any one getting ticketed for that.
But at least in the US, a yellow light is simply an indicator that the light will be turning red at some point (typically seven seconds, IIRC, but again I've not checked that recently).