Running hot, part 2

1988 Astro Van. Well maintained. Second engine, good history, almost 100K on the engine, so this is not problem associated with engine changing. Ran hot. Changed fan clutch and water pump. Have had it at the mechanics
several times, pressure test, no discernable leaks. It loses fluid, sometimes a half gallon on a 15 mile trip. Runs cool, normal at highway speed, then heats up at red light stops. Cannot see any coolant leak on pavement, ever. I see and touch/smell the A/C condensate, but never coolant. At red lights, when it overheats, you can smell the telltale coolant aroma. There is no water in the oil. This driving us crazy, any ideas? Perry
Cracked head or head gasket failure. Coolant is burning out the tailpipe. If it was the block cracked it would more than likely have milky oil.

Mythoughts too. GW
noname wrote:

Also check the transmission fluid. I've seen a couple busted trans coolers inside the radiator.
I will take it this week for transmission service and lookover. Perry

My husband thinks it's a cracked head and the reason it doesn't show up on pressure test is that the engine is not hot. It only expands enough for the crack to be a problem when it's hot, he says. Perry