Running Mobil 1 10W30 in Winter in Canada

Hi,
According to the Mobil 1 site:
10W-30 Above 0 F You can use Mobil 1 with SuperSynT 10W-30 with confidence. This viscosity is also available in Mobil Drive Clean OilT and Mobil Drive Clean
PlusT High Mileage formula.
5W-30 All temps You can use Mobil 1 with SuperSynT 5W-30 with confidence. This viscosity is also available in Mobil Drive Clean OilT and Mobil Drive Clean PlusT - both the Newer Vehicle and High Mileage formulas.
I am rather confused by this rating since the pour points of both oils are identical. I want to run the 10W30 so that the extra oil film would quiet the piston slap I have on my 2001 Buick Century on cold startup.
begin 666 5x5.gif M1TE&.#EA!0`%`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````%``4```($A(^I6 `[ ` end
Depends on the engine and how you drive and for how long you drive. I used 20-50W on a 4 banger for years, winter and summer. Put 234,000 on it before trade in. Was still running good, no compression problems. Tried the same thing on a V8 and it didn't like it at all. Operating temperature difference. Many recommend the synthetics for your situation. I'd stick to manufacturer recommendations.
Car Guy wrote:

Today, Car Guy poured vast amounts of knowledge into alt.autos.gm and 2...

Just my 2 cents:
I usually run 5W30 in the Winter. When I'm too lazy to change the oil myself, and the schmoe at the service station puts in 10W30, I can tell a difference on winter-cold starts, and I'm only in NC.
With the 5W30, it seems to turn over a little easier and run smoother until it starts to warm up the oil (ok, so that takes all of 1-2 minutes).
In the summers, I don't notice as much of a difference, so I just grab what I can, although I do try and get 5W30 year round. But here, Mobil 1 5W30 availability tends to get spotty during the summer.
--
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+ Trey Waters snipped-for-privacy@sidestreet.tzo.com Experience is the worst teacher. It always gives the test first and the instruction afterward. +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
Using a thicker oil may not help your piston slap at startup. I would think that may be caused by something inhibiting oil flow. That is if you are only hearing that at startup and not at run time. In the winter, most cars will need either a 5w or 0w oil to help get oil flowing on those cold mornings. Synthetics are pretty good in cold weather too.

5w-30 synthetic if available, else reg 5w-30. Lived in Wisc. thirty years ago and found that 5w-30 would let you start and go while other people had to have oil dipstick heaters, heated garages or battery heaters.

This
Clean
This
Clean