s10 door hinge spring

After much manipulation, i got my old upper door hinge apart on my 1996 S10. I had to pry the spring out of the upper hinge to be able to get the hinge pin out from the bottom of the hinge.
I was able to get the aftermarket bushings and pin back in. But, i cannot seem to get the door spring back in the hinge.
Any sugestions?
Bob
-

Hey Bob, first you have to adjust the input gain.
After that, what I do is put the spring in a vise and carefully compress it all the way. Then I wrap a coat hanger through it and twist, to keep it compressed. Slowly relieve the vise pressure. The spring will uncoil somewhat on one side. Carefully place it somewhat in place in the hinge mechanism. Use a long screw driver or pry bar to pry it into place. This may take a few attempts. Swear at it. Swear at it more. Create some new swear words and put them to immediate use. This is essential. At once you will find yourself having gotten lucky and the spring will be in place enough to cut the coat hanger with a pair of side cutters.
It's not pretty, but it works.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I went through this pain as well. I think I used a C-Clamp to compress the spring enough and then pried it into the spot. After multiple attempts I got lucky. I might try the coat hanger trick next time though.
John Manner wrote:

I don't see how a C clamp would work. You could not get it into the space between the door and the jamb to do much good. Now, if i had a proper handheld spring compressor
Bob

-
"Bob Urz" wrote

You mean tool # J-28625-A ? Maybe a local dealer could lend you his (or rent it to you for $1)?
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/12/49/0c/0900823d8012490c.jsp

Just a thought: AutoZone may have one to loan you. Hope they do! s As a side note, I see this ordeal come up quite often. Maybe we could all chip in, purchase one, and have one handy for the next person needing.......Like I said, just a side note. But I'd bet if I needed one, I'd pay for express mail if I couldn't find one locally!

Less than 12 bucks...
<http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ta87675.html
aarcuda69062 wrote:

You got me thinking, and i found this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber 344
Bob
-

Buy it!
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

There you go!
Mike Marlow wrote:

I already tried the coat hanger thing. I guess i did not use enough swear words. WHat thought i would try is some very strong thinner wire and use like four pieces. I did not have any strong enough to try The stuff i had broke when i tried to tie it.
The coat hanger is just too hard to form and tie without loosing some of the spring compression. It also is so fat it makes it not want to seat on the door side spring saddle.
Luckily, i can drive the truck without a door spring. Just have to be careful opening and closing it. I bent one screwdriver trying to pry it in.
Bob
-

in.
You're right that the coat hanger is not the ultimate solution. It is too large in diameter for one, and it only secures the spring in one direction. But... short of a real hinge spring compressor, it's the only way I've ever been able to get them in. I use large pliers to twist the coat hanger to tighten it down, to hold the spring. It might be easier to drive to a body shop and see if they'll insert the spring for ya. Hell, even if they tap you $5 for the simple task of doing it with the tool, it would be worth the money.