Sad day for America

"Steve Stone" wrote

One incident does not prove or disprove the reality of medical treatment. Doctors in regular practice don't keep open time just in case someone wants to walk in the next day. You did get to see someone and if an emergency, you could have gone to the ER. In the case of an auto accident, usually an ambulance can be called at the scene.

My wife has a heart condition. When needed, she can see a doctor in minutes. Non emergency can take days and is no big deal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And this is happening now, without the health care reform. St. Vincent's Hospital in Manhattan, which has served poor people for years, is on th verge of closing.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

If that's the case the hospital will close for sure now that the feds are telling them how they must operate the hospital.

The state of Pennsylvania owned several hospitals in north east part of the state for nearly 100 years but the state sold them in the sixties because they were going broke operating them

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Good point. And with all the undiciplined kids today, iPods is about all they can do. That is, doctors retire and who is going to take their place?

From a human resources point of view, the next 10-20 years is going to be quite interesting.

Reply to
Canuck57

Good point. And with all the undiciplined kids today, iPods is about all they can do. That is, doctors retire and who is going to take their place?

From a human resources point of view, the next 10-20 years is going to be quite interesting.

Reply to
Canuck57

How are the feds telling them what to do? Evidence please.

Actually, it is the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. They were closed because there were larger hospitals that people preferred. For example, Mercy Hospital, CMC and Moses Taylor were all located in Scranton. If you're going to operate a hospital, you need to continue to improve services to keep up. Rather, the state didn't keep, and let private hospitals take over. The hospitals served their purpose. Scranton State General Hospital was not sold, but rather, the site was turned over to the VA where they now operate a nursing home for vets (they tore the hospital down and put in a new building). The nursing home opened in

1988, and the hospital was operating until it was torn down, so the hospital was operating in to the 80s; it wasn't closed in the 60s. I used to drive by it on the way to the mall.

The state still operates seven hospitals. I visited one, as well as another hospital that was run by the state in cooperation with Medical College of PA (that hospital closed because of financial problems with the medical college). AFAIK, the hospital building (as well as the Medical College PA Hospital builidng) is still there, and perhaps some space is used for the medical college (which is now part of Drexel Univ.).

However, what the Commonwealth's actions in the 60s has to do with this is beyond me. THat was a totally different time and situation.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Plus 30 million more people needing care from the doctors who remain practicing medicine after Obama gets done with them.

Reply to
Jane Galt

If you don't like what's going on then move on to Mexico. Tired of this thread and off topic posts! Every politician needs to be replaced in every seat. Same old dickheads in there so what would we expect.

Reply to
iluv my kitties and family

That statement right there supports what he was saying, and that is that in general, private owners in general will do better at that than a government that doesn't know how to compete in the marketplace.

Reply to
Bill Putney

You're making an assumption that that is the role of gov't hospitals.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Maybe - so should Pennsylvania State University change its name? Virginia is also a commonwealth, but people routinely call it a state - most people don't have a problem with that. My diploma says "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University".

Can a commonwealth also be a state? Without Googling, does anybody know the difference?

So the U.S. doesn't really have 50 states (unless you ask Obama and it's

57), but 48 states and 2 commonwealths (or are there other commonwealths besides PA and VA)? :)
Reply to
Bill Putney

Then that further makes the point. For example, if your point is that the gov't can run a hospital without it having to be a profit center (i.e., it doesn't have to bring in more than it spends), then that further shows that costs will go way up when the gov't runs it, because they will just keep pumping more money into it to keep it open, whereas, if a private hospital is operating in the red (due to indigents, illegal aliens or whatever), they will go out of business, and pressure will be put on to fix the real problems (such as illegal immigrants) (*doesn't mean the problem will be fixed necessarily, but society will feel the pressure and see the causes in a more direct way than taxes in general going up to cover the overruns seen around the country). The gov't will just continue to raise taxes (and probably disproportionately on those with higher incomes until the higher income people will decide to stop playing the fool's game).

I know I covered a lot of stuff there, but it is all pertinent.

Reply to
Bill Putney

MA and KY are also commonwealths. As the name implies, the properties of the state are owned by its citizens in common and are rued by laws made for the common good. Virginia was a commonwealth before it became a state.

Countries can also be commonwealths, such as Iceland and Poland.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Go to Canada for health care, like Sarah Palin, you communist.

Reply to
SMS

See how the civilized world does *real* healthcare. The bill has been passed, is now law, will never be repealed anymore than Medicare or Social Security will ever be repealed, it will be tweaked as Social Security and Medicare were.

It is here to stay :-)

Watch:

Jim_Higgins

If you did a search you would discover that the fact was Pennsylvania closed those Hospitals because they were loosing million of dollars every year.

The State hospital in Allentown was closed years age and the State Mental hospital in Allentown is in the process of being closed for the same reason.

The Federal government, under the current healthcare law, will take $600,000,000 OUT of Medicare which will cause more marginally profitable hospitals to close, as well.

The new bill adds a 2.3% tax on YOUR medical devices, from bedpans to X-Ray machines, that will force medical device manufactures, like B. Braun and OraSure both located Pennsylvania, hundreds millions of dollars, according to the CEO of B. Braun, which will be passed on to its customers or worse yet force them to move their manufacturing off shore.

Under the new "Healthcare" bill, the feds even get you AFTER you die. Coffins are now going to be taxed and additional 2.3% to help pay for this new disastrous bill.

The Senate changed the administration of college loans, from the private sector to Washing as part of a so called "healthcare" bill. As a result hundreds of the private sector workers in Pennsylvania will loose their jobs. Every Democrat Senator, the party of the working man, voted for that bill that takes away those good paying jobs.

If history proves anything we all know that the feds will have thee drowns, doing the jobs that one person was doing in the private sector. Is that the "Change" YOU wanted, dr_jeff? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If you want a to see what a government run hospital will look like in a few years, look to the military and the VA hospitals TODAY. LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It is not hard to see what will happen in the future to our healthcare costs. Look at Medicare and Medicaid TODAY. Medicare is CURRENTLY out of money and Medicaid is nearing bankruptcy. The only reason it is not yet bankrupt is because the states must pay half of its costs.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are correct. To show OUR government that we do not like what it is doing to our Constitution and our county we can us our ultimate weapon, the ballot, and not re-elect ANYONE currently "serving" us in the federal government.

We can do it in just six years that Senators serve. All other offices are elected for two or four years.

The Commerce Clause was never intended to allow the federal government to take powers FROM the states. It was intended to protect one state from taking power from another.

Clearly what the feds have been doing for years is in violation of the tenth Amendment and I am glad to see that the Attorney's General of 19 SOVEREIGN states are fighting back

Reply to
Mike Hunter