Safe to drive 99 Grand Am????

We have a 99 Pontiac Grand Am with 99K miles and it has been using coolant for about a month now.

Adding coolant only seems to have prolonged the inevitable. Now it used 1/2 gallon for the last 30 miles and the service engine light has come on. The car also is running poorly. It is missing badly. I want to take it to AutoZone to get a diagnostics. Is it safe to drive? Any idea why it is now missing? The oil is clean and exhaust appears OK.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

Blown head gasket.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

I should mention the car has a 3.4 liter V6 which is known for intake exhaust gasket problems.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
Keyser Soze

Reply to
Shep

Look around the thermostat Housing and see of there is water there.

If so change the thermostat Gasket and add stop leek to Engine

If no water there probably >>

Reply to
E Perry

Guessing and groping for answers never matches testing and diagnosing. Where do you suppose that new engine misfire is coming from? Maybe looking at a plug would help. The sad news is that in prolonged cases like this where a person insists on topping off and driving a vehicle with a coolant leak, the damage often becomes progressive and the repair more complicated. Then a partial repair is soon followed by subsequent repairs because of a partial guess diagnosis to begin with.

Reply to
Al Bundy

You failed to read the posts by people who had the cams freeze and break and those that had to have the engine replaced. Since you are apparently not a mechanic take it in and have it fixed. This usually is not a DIY project unless you have good mechanical skills. If you keep driving it make sure you carry a cell phone and the number of a towing service....

Reply to
Woody

Reply to
Shep