Safest car?

Page 4 of 4

buying
when
and
Please consider checking the real world Injury Collision and Theft results at:
http://www.hwysafety.org/default.htm
They are produced by the insurance industry based on what they actually pay out, not artificial testing methods. The primary problem with most artificial tests is that they ignore weight issues. Sure, in the fine print they say you can only compare vehicals of similar weight but putting 4 stars on minicars with sickening real world death rates (I'm talking about you EU and Japan) seems criminal to me. People without alot of money should know the truth, that statistically they would be much safer buying a quality used car than a cheap new car. Cars with better insurance profiles are also much cheaper to insure which can actually save money over the course of owning it compared to buying a cheap death trap with high insurance.
As for reliability, most major car manufactures have both good and bad models. For example, GM makes both the LeSabre, which actually rates better than an average Toyota (JD Power 2003 3 year study) in reliability and the Hummer H2, which rated dead last in quality of all consumer vehicals sold in the US last year. Any *real* car guy will tell you the same. For example, the classic 300E was solid in pretty much every way, but the C280 is infamous for costing more to fix than to buy. BMW 5 solid, Z3 junk. Lexus LS400 solid, RX300 not. I know many people and Consumers Reports disagree with this, but the numbers back it up. Another thing to consider is the same model can be made in different countries. For example, the VWs made in Germany and sold in Europe are much more reliable than the same cars made in Mexico and sold in the US. Similar story with the Camrys made in Japan vs the early ones made in the US. Also consider where you will drive with the car and what parts and service cost there. An E320 is great to drive around San Diago or Germany, but would be no fun if you needed service in say, North Dakota. I have a friend that's been waiting weeks to get parts for his 500SL in Vegas when he can still get parts for his classic Mustang at almost any autoparts store.
You might find the not-for-profit consumer education and advocacy organization "ConsumerAffairs.org" website & newsletter quite interesting >> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/ Very well done automotive affairs coverage.

top
cars
pay
print
stars
EU
used
much
it
better
in
example,
Lexus
in
in
the
around
The safest car is the one that stays parked in the drive. ;)

buying
when
and
Tj wrote:

Not Really...
http://www.kcmo.org/parks/storm1.jpg
Cheers, WS
--
Change to leews to mail.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:45:54 +0800, Lee Wei Shun wrote:

Kind of reminds me of a story that I was told once. At CalTech, there was a big storm that blew down a massive tree that crushed a whole line of cars in a parking log. Anyway, after the incident, the tree was cut up and cleared away, and all the cars had been towed away, except one. Apparently, the owner of the car had was away on vacation and when he got back the tree was completely cleared away and all the other damaged cars were replaced. I can only imagine the look on his face when came and saw his car utterly crushed to the ground with absolutly no indication of how it happened.
:)
Sorry for my two cents but the safest car is the one where the person actually knows how to drive it...hence motor sports! But in all reality, I have seen far more car accidents then I care to remember, I have seen cars that people shouldn't have survived and did! Then there is the "He died in that?" Factor where the car doesn't look that bad and you'd be surprized! In all any car is "safe" unless you are going to go out on the highway during rush hour an get it to a buck thirty, then you could be driving the safest car on the planet and it wouldn't matter!
Driving at 55 one time I was driving up a highway and had an 18 year old kid pull out in front of my pickup, giving me 20 feet or so to stop in. Needless to say I had no place else I could go and limits on the range I had to react, I "T- Boned" his Toyota Corolla just behind the drivers side door, caving in the whole drivers side. I was able to get out of my truck and direct traffic till the police and rescue crews showed up. After I had gone back and told his passenger that help was on the way and NOT to move him! If I hadn't of back the gears down from 5th to 2nd as fast as did he'd probably been dead! I don't think I am a great driver but I know standard transmissions fairly well!!! I feel I had probably hit him doing about 40mph.
Jeigh
The safest car is one that isn't driven. End of story.