Saturn Aura XR, excessive crank

I own a 2007 Saturn Aura XR that has 171K total miles on it. I've had it s ince the summer of 2009 and I've driven it approximately 140K miles. The f ollowing problem has plagued me for approximately the last 12 months: When ever I fill the gas tank, the very next time I try to start the car it does n't start right up like it usually does but "cranks" quite excessively. Af ter a few tries it finally starts up. To put it concisely -

- car is low on fuel

- engine is turned off

- tank is filled

- attempt to start engine, fails, resulting in abnormal amount of cranking

- 2 or 3 subsequent start attempts are usually needed to start

I've paid quite close attention to the behavioral of the car the past sever al months. Usually it starts right up with no hesitation whatsoever. The only time it gives me trouble is when I top off the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIM E. Seriously, it has never, not once, given me a hard time starting except for when I top it off with fuel. Anyone have any thoughts on what might b e going on?

Reply to
Shawn

my thought is that there is something wrong with the vapor recovery system, which /should/ be setting a check engine light, and that you are unknowingly slightly over-filling the gas tank, and flooding the intake manifold with gas. Start watching the gallon-meter at the fuel station and stop filling BEFORE the station pump clicks, as a step-one troubleshoot.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Ah, very interesting. Thanks so much for your insight. Actually, my check engine light has been illuminated for months. I had the car checked out w hen I first noticed the light and the tech told me that an "evap. leak" was causing the light. The tech looked and looked but couldn't find a leak in the fuel system.

Here's a silly question. . . If there is something wrong with the vapor re covery system, can this lead to decreased fuel economy? Thanks again!

Reply to
Shawn

only a little. Sounds like you already have your answer to the problem. Fix the evap leak. I'd guess the purge valve is likely leaking, so you are overfilling the tank, and flooding the engine. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh