Saturn Help

I just finshes swapping engines in a 1994 Saturn SL2, with the 1.9 Dual over head cams. Only to have the starter in-operable.

The old engine was locked up (bent a good 22 inch breaker bar getting the torque conveter bolts out). Yet the starter would attempt to engage when I was diagnosing the old engine.

I have all the wires, execpt for MAS hooked up. I have the purple wire on the 'S' terminal, the positive cable, and the shunt cable inplace. All the grounds are in place.

I don't have a diagram for the car, I need to figure out where the relay for the starter is. Or why else the starter soliniod is not even making a sound. Charles yes the battery under load does test at 11.5 volts, and 13.6 not loaded.

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Not sure it'll help but here's the starting circuit for the car.

if you need any more just let meknow

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Thank you! Ill mess with the car again on monday, and let you know. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Any chance you haven't hooked up a ground cable?

Reply to
hyundaitech

That was one of the first things we checked out. Since I R&R'ed the engine. All ground wires are properly located and bolted in.

Then I checked out the starter wiring circut. All good there. Then I checked for power at the starter, good at both the 'S' & main terminals.

Tried tapping the starter motor & soliniod. Nothing, tried jumping it, and tapping. Nothing. Yet the 'S' wire does have power.

Dropped the starter. Did a basic bench test. It will not do work them just humm. I may have burned out the motor attempting to turn a locked up engine with it.

Now today I get to hunt down a used starter. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Charles Bendig wrote in alt.autos.gm

Good luck on the used starter. I did that route once, saved a bit of money, but had to take the first on back because it didn't work. Luckily I could drive another car, but a major pain to r and r the starter twice. Go the extra bucks and buy a good starter.

Reply to
Dick C

Went out this morning and bought a used starter, for $30. 90 Day warrantee, from one of the few places in town that have a used one. New ones ranged from $125 to $150 (ouch!).

I did the basic bench test with the battery charger. It worked. Installed it in the car, and the car cranked. Tried a second crank and it started.

Tonight my one business partner welded up the rusted & cracked down tube on the exhaust (before the converter). Tomarrow I will finsh buttoning the car up and go pick up the next one.

One Customer, 10 jobs!! Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig