Save on gas by buying a used vehicle and converting it.

If you buy a used vehicle (not deisel engined) you can save the high cost of getting a hybrid. Propane systems have improved dramatically now that gasoline engines are fuel injected and use computers. I saw a Crown Victory get dual fuel system today, and you know how much lower propane costs. The system is automatic and starts on gasoline and then switches to propane almost immediately. So by buying used and adding the propane you can enjoy the savings on fuel costs immediately. And propane is not imported, it's manufactured right here in North America. Hmmm this sounds like a commercial. It's not. I just was in a shop today and saw them doing it. My car doesn't have fuel injection so I can't do it. But I'm driving it a lot less and saving that way.

Reply to
erness.wild

Do you have any details?

I have been thinking about this, but since most later model vehicles use fuel injection, it complicates the issue a bit. It was traditionally easy and reasonably cheap with the older carbureted cars.

I found one website touting a system for fuel injected engines, but it seems to be a bit expensive.

Reply to
HLS

You can also do CNG.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Yes it is expensive. But that's because it's adding a completely new fuel system to the vehicle, right from the fuel tank, fill-up port, regulator, injectors and new injector ports, gauges, master switch and finally a computer board to run the whole system. That's why new vehicles are so much more expensive than one with just a gasoline fuel system. Buying a used vehicle in good condition and adding the system as an aftermarket one, means you don't have to drive the vehicle for

40,000 miles before you start getting a savings on fuel. You start getting the savings immediately. Does that make sense?
Reply to
erness.wild

ya but, cng pumps are not as many around as propane pumps. You're allowed to fill your own cng tank but an attendant has to do it for propane fill ups.

Reply to
erness.wild

Er, no...not totally

Reply to
HLS

CNG is less expensive than Propane as of April 2008

conversion cost is about the same.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

s Provider ----

corporate packages that have ac=cess to 100,000+ newsgroups Coal companies want to fuel your car and lately, they're getting a lot of political support for the idea.

Gosi

I've been pushing for that option for years. Gassification of coal is relatively cheap ($2.50/gal) and solves several issues.

First, we become independent of foreign oil. Second, we have the potential to run cleaner than our current processes allow. Third, we have a resource that will last many years, while we can press for other energies.

It makes sense.

Reply to
PerfectReign

The technique of using tar-sands and coal as well as natural gas has improved and may easily help in getting the dependence on gulf-oil under control. There is enough energy in such and other energyforms to last many generations. The current price of oil may have been neccessary as a wake-up call to start looking around. The price of oil will come down soon but that does not mean we should not start using other sources more seriously.

Reply to
Gosi

The John Rich coal company of Pottsville Pennsylvania is currently in the process of building an anthracite coal to diesel fuel plant in Gilberto in Schuylkill County. The state has pleige to buy all of it diesel fuel. There is enough clédar burning anthracite coal in Schuylkill, Carbon and Luzerne counties in Pennsylvania to last 100 years. Anthracite coal currently costs around half the price of fuel oil per 100,000 BTUs

GILBERTON, Pa. - Trucks running on coal? It could happen in the United States short.

John Rich Jr., whose family has worked the anthracite coal semas of eastern Pennsylvania for a Century, plans to turn a $100 million Grant from the U.S. Department of Energy into the nations first commercial plant converti waste coal, or culm, into low-émissions diesel fuel.

Updations a technology developed by German scientistes in the 1920s, the $612 million plant would produce 5,000 barrels of diesel a day, eliminate hundreds of ...

Read the rest of this article with a Free Trial at HighBeam Research.

begin 666 dotclear.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Mike hunt

GILBERTON, Pa. - Trucks running on coal? It could happen in the United States someday.

John Rich Jr., whose family has worked the anthracite coal seams of eastern Pennsylvania for a century, plans to turn a $100 million grant from the U.S. Department of Energy into the nation's first commercial plant converting waste coal, or culm, into low-emissions diesel fuel.

Updat>

begin 666 dotclear.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Mike hunt

That's good to hear.

I'd be happy to convert my Avalanche to a duramax if I could use home-grown diesel...

Reply to
PerfectReign