Screw Falls In Defroster Duct, Is This A Problem?

Well dumb-dumb removed the Instrument Panel ( the padded section ) today to get more sunlight on the odometer for photo taking. There is about a

8 inch overhang of the IP beyond the gauge cluster. 6 screws hold the IP on. Removes in about 4 minutes time.

Upon reassembly, fumble fingers dropped the 1-1/2" long screw trying to get it throught the hole in the IP and naturally it imediately falls into the left hand defroster duct.

Will this present a problem in the immediate future??

Did the screw fall into an area where it might jam moving parts?

So far the Heater, Vent, AC & Defroster seem to be working alright. The directional doors seem to be directing the air to the proper places.

Probably no chance the screw would fall out the floor discharge vent. LOL.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~300,017 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Did you take the picture?

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I have dropped my fair share of screws down the ducts in my Bonnie's dash. Never had a problem afterwards. :)

Reply to
80 Knight

It might. Take it out on a slalom course, HF. lol.

In all seriosness, that vent is the farthest point from the blower fan, so I wouldn't worry. Of course, I also would have fished it out with a flexy magnet tool by now.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Doubt it. I had a radar detector suction cup floating around in the dash vents of my '84 T/A since '98. It finally fell out when I had the dash ripped apart fixing rattles last fall.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

That is actually a design issue for defrosters, and it won't hurt anything. The old 1970's Trans Ams have a dropped screw deflector system built into them, and a gap in the ducts so that objects will fall out (into the floor).

Reply to
Joe