sd210 starter 96 s10

I am trying to diagnose my starter on my 96 s10 2.2. The shop manual says its a SD210. Seems to be 94-96 only. It motor always spins when the key is turned but it does not
want to engage into the flywheel and turn over the engine. Its worse after the truck is hot. Does this sound like a starter drive problem or a solenoid problem? Since its spinning fine and when it catches and it turns the motor over well i think the basic motor section is ok. The drive section, solenoid and some solenoid parts are available.
Bob
-

Hi Bob. If it spins every time then the solenoid is fine. The bendix isn't. Not sure if you can get just a bendix these days. I'm assuming that the starter you identify is not a worm drive starter and is a standard starter. If that's the case and you can't find a bendix you'll have to split for a starter.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Its a direct drive starter. It seems only used on some 2.2 and 3.1 motors from 91 to 96. Related to SD260. I got access to a pile of more common chevy starters, but the mount pattern seems to be unique on this one. I am not sure also on the 97 and newer 2.2's if that type starter is interchangeable.
Terminology is confusing. WHat i think used to be called a bendix is a starter drive now? Here is a pix of one for a SD210/260:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors / Delco-Remy-Starter-Starter-Drive-SD210-SD260_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33576QQitemZ8032810509QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
http://www.pico.com.cn/Starter/SSD210.htm

-

I've never replaced one of these starter drives Bob, so I don't know if there are any gotchyas to it. Hang in here for a few more replies - maybe one of the other guys around here has done so and can comment on it.
BTW - how's life over in aapls? I haven't hung out there in a while, since I sold all my stuff off. Just kept some small stuff for jamming. Might have to stop back by as I'm thinking about a small digital board for hacking around - wouldn't hurt to hear who has what to say about what. I'm sure Filo... no, Fido... no... Phildo has some opinions...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

-

Just threw a little jab George Gleason's way. George and I are buddies and I couldn't resist throwing one his way in the mandolin/guitar thread.

not to

If it were me I'd go with the starter drive. Just based on the way things used to be with a bendix in a starter, I would have been quite confident in going for it if your starter had been so equipped. I understand the tight thing. Logic points to the drive. The motor spins every time so there's no outward indication of winding problems and the solenoid has to be functioning correctly or the starter would not spin. That only leaves the drive not advancing to engage the flywheel. If there were flywheel ring gear problems you'd hear them.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Bob Urz wrote:

Terminology has always been the same. Many years the company named Bendix made the starter drive gears. As a result they were called Bendix rather than starter drive gear, sounded better I guess. Just like the names Bush hog and Weed eater.
BILL P. Just Me and Dog

Could be either. Could be a bad flywheel too.
When it does engage, does it sound good or does it make a ticking noise as it rotates? If it sounds good, just swap out the starter.
It's not worth your time to rebuild the existing starter, especially if you don't get it perfect the first time through. --scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:

No. When i engages it sounds fine. it sure does spin fast though. Its like its spinning so fast that the overrun clutch is kicking in before it gear engages the flywheel. It seems to be one of two things. The drive section is hanging up and not allowing the gear to engage the flywheel, or the solenoid does not have sufficient pull to reliably engage the pinion to the flywheel.
I have seen some pretty crappy rebuilds, and i suppose yo never know what you got until you get it. I had one on my taurus that had a cheap aftermarket solenoid fall apart on it. It was on the car before it got it, and i put a used one on out of a motor core i had.
Funny i get two sound guys commenting on cars. ;)
Bob

-

Jack of all trades...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
BOB URZ wrote:

You might be money ahead by getting the entire starter which will include a new drive gear and solenoid. Could prevent tearing up the teeth on the fly wheel.
BILL P.

Hey, talk to Mike Rivers. He helped me pushstart my Chrysler a couple years ago at the Washington Folk Festival when my starter solenoid tore up the flywheel. He didn't enjoy that at all, and can probably attest to the importance of these things. I probably went through a dozen crappy rebuilds on that car, though, in the 480,000 miles I ran it. --scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Gezz, if anyone deserves a Lee Iacocca bobble head you won the prize!
I had got just about straight gigs for the next week or so, so i hope it can wait or i can use the wife's car.
Bob
-