Seat belt retraction problem ('94 Cavalier)

My seat belt will only pull out while the door is open. I have the belt retractor out and it is only getting power to the selenoid when the door is open (power to the selenoid unlocks the retractor and lets the belt pull
out). Does anyone know how it works? I havn't been able to find much info on the workings of it. When is the selenoid supposed to get power? Is it controlled by a computer, or something tied to braking? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a whole lot.
josh
(joshbrainerd @ yahoo dot com)
I've figured it out!

is