selling price or gift / transfer of title

Is it true that when a private party sells a used car that they will claim it as a gift (in California) so that both parties can avoid paying a tax? Its been suggested to me that "everyone" does it this way
and that my buyer will expect to do it like this when I sell my car. I would rather pay the tax and not worry about being penalized for breaking a tax law. Am I being wierd or is there a good reason to claim my car as a gift?

Depends on the state. Some require proof of some sort that you are a relative to receive the gift, otherwise you pay tax on the book value.
Sometimes when a car is sold privately, there will be two bills of sale. One real, one showing many $ less, for the DMV to pay the sales tax. The state does know that it is not often people give cars as gifts in real life.
Please Note New address
daniels snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net