Service bulletins

Is there a site that I can go to look up the details on a specific GM service bulletin? My 2000 Monte just went under the knife for a leaking lower intake manifold gasket (leaking oil out..not anti freeze in) and a problem with my keyless entry. Anyway the dealer is replacing my body control module AND my dash cluster. I understand the BCM and what it is supposed to do, but would like to learn how that interfaces with my dash cluster. I have the service bulletin number and want to know how I can read up on it. All this electronics stuff is moving too fast, and frankly I am having a hard time keeping up.....I would have done the manifold gasket myself if not for the warranty, mechanical stuff...easy; but the newest electronics technology is just a bit out of my scope to tackle right now...

BTW...if anyone is looking at buying a newer used GM...BUY THE GMPP warranty. It has paid for itself in this one visit alone. I just wish I purchased more than a 12 mo/12K mile..but then again...I have had less problems with my old 1994 Corsica.....

8up
Reply to
Eightupman

Try

You can get a listing (and brief description) of the recalls and bulletins.

Check with your local public library. Ours have full access to Alldata, but it's only available through the PC's physically at the library. I access the ones I need from there and e-mail them to myself so I can print them at home.

Good luck.

Reply to
Speedy

You could try google with the TSB number, sometimes you get sites that have the TSBs posted.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Yes the GMPP warranty is good...but just because you only have 12 months, you still have options to extend with many different companies, most good, some not so good...Try www.http://www.1sourceautowarranty.com/Having said that, what is the service bulletin or campaign number...Steve

Reply to
Skeezicks
0852004A
Reply to
Eightupman

"Eightupman" wrote

Actually, its....00-08-52-004A.

It has to be presented in the above format in order for it to be searchable on the GM web site.

Here is the text of the service bulletin. There was one illustration, but it won't be included.

Intermittent Operation of RKE System (Replace I/P Cluster) #00-08-52-004A - (10/11/2000) Intermittent Operation of Remote Keyless Entry System (Replace Instrument Panel Cluster)

2000 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

This bulletin is being revised to update the parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-08-52-004 (Section 8- Body and Accessories).

Condition Some customers may comment that the remote keyless entry system fails to unlock all of the passenger doors when the key fob is pressed the second time.

This condition is intermittent.

Cause Conflicting radio frequencies may cause a temporary logic lock-up of the remote keyless entry system.

Correction 1.. Turn the ignition to the OFF position and remove the key from the lock. 2.. Exit the vehicle and lock all the doors. 3.. Wait at least 10 seconds. 4.. From a distance greater than 3 m (10 ft) but less than 9 m (30 ft), press the unlock tab on the remote keyless entry transmitter. The driver's door will unlock. After waiting 1-2 seconds, depress the unlock tab the second time. The other doors should unlock. If there is no response to the second key press, wait 30 seconds and depress the unlock tab again. If the doors unlock after the 30 second wait, disconnect the instrument cluster class 2 serial data wiring from the splice pack by completing the following additional steps: 1.. Remove the driver's side instrument panel sound insulator panel.

2.. Adjacent to the park brake assembly is a wiring harness approximately 24 mm (1 in) in diameter. The wiring harness will have a piece of white tape identifying the location of the splice pack. Remove enough of the wiring harness tape to separate the splice pack and remove the gray wire from cavity "G" of the splice pack. 5.. Exit the vehicle and lock all of the doors. 6.. Wait at least 10 seconds. 7.. From a distance greater than 3 m (10 ft) but less than 9 m (30 ft), press the unlock tab on the remote keyless entry transmitter. The driver's door will unlock. After waiting 1-2 seconds, depress the unlock tab the second time. The other doors should unlock. 8.. If the doors unlock at the command of the remote transmitter correctly, exchange the Instrument Panel Cluster with one obtained from an ACDelco® Service Center. 9.. Place the gray wire back into cavity "G" and retape the wiring harness. 10.. If the exchange cluster is not available for replacement at this time, reinstall the sound insulator panel. 11.. Return the vehicle to the customer with the request to return the vehicle once the part is available. 12.. When the exchange cluster becomes available, replace the Instrument Panel Cluster. Refer to the Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console sub-section of the Service Manual for replacement procedures. Parts Information The following parts are available by contacting an ACDelco® Service Center.

Model Part Number Description

Impala 09381191 (U11) Police - MPH

09381171 (U2E) Base Cluster - MPH 09381201 (U11) Police - KPH 09381181 (U2E) Base Cluster - KPH

Monte Carlo 09383221 (UB3) Pace Car Replica - MPH

09383201 (UB3) Non-Pace Car - MPH 09383231 (UB3) Pace Car Replica - KPH 09383211 (UB3) Non-Pace Car - KPH

Impala, Monte Carlo 09383181 (UH8) Cool Temp, Tach, Trip - MPH

09381221 (UH8) Cool Temp, Tach, Trip - KPH

Warranty Information For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation Description Model Labor Time

N6622 Wiring Repair - Occupant Information Systems Impala, Monte Carlo 0.3 hr

N4180 Cluster - Remove & Replace Impala 0.6 hr

Monte Carlo 0.4 hr

Cluster - Diagnose, Remove & Replace Impala 0.8 hr

Monte Carlo 0.6 hr

Important Only one of these labor operations may be claimed on a single repair order. If the system is diagnosed and the vehicle is to be returned at a later date, use Labor Operation N6622 for the diagnosis time.

If the replacement of the cluster is completed on another repair order (separate from the diagnosis), use Labor Operation N4180, with 0.6 hr for the Impala and 0.4 hr for the Monte Carlo.

If the repair is diagnosed and the cluster is replaced on the day the repair order was written, use Labor Operation N4180, with 0.8 hr for the Impala and

0.6 hr for the Monte Carlo.

The reason for the difference in the times are duplication times required, such as placing the vehicle in the stall once instead of twice, removal of the sound insulator panel once instead of twice, etc.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

THANKS!!! This is exactly the problem that the Monte went in for. I still don't get what in the CLUSTER would cause this problem.....And it does not mention changing the BCM.....I wonder if the mechanic changed mine because it was quicker. The service bulletin even tells the mechanic to put the dash back in and give it back to the customer until a new dash becomes available. They did not do that in my case. But hey...they are the ones paying for the rental of a 2004 Silverado.....mmmmm almost a better ride than the Monte!!!

Is there any way that I could access this kind of information myself, ,or is it because you work at a dealer? I would like to learn about all the bulletins about my car.

8-upman

#00-08-52-004A -

Reply to
Eightupman

What disconnecting the wire described in the bulletin appears to do is disconnect the instrument cluster from the vehicle's Class 2 data bus. I would imagine that the problem is due to the instrument cluster doing something strange on the bus that interferes with the unlock command..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

With no power in the cluster???

Reply to
Eightupman

Part of the instrument cluster has power at all times..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

wow....I am SOOOOOO out of date with the new electronics it hurts...... Got to get some more schooling under my belt.......

8upman

message

Reply to
Eightupman