Service bulletins

Threaded View
Is there a site that I can go to look up the details on a specific GM
service bulletin?  My 2000 Monte just went under the knife for a leaking
lower intake manifold gasket (leaking oil out..not anti freeze in) and a
problem with my keyless entry.
Anyway the dealer is replacing my body control module AND my dash cluster.
I understand the BCM and what it is supposed to do, but would like to learn
how that interfaces with my dash cluster. I have the service bulletin number
and want to know how I can read up on it.  All this electronics stuff is
moving too fast,  and frankly I am having a hard time keeping up.....I would
have done the manifold gasket myself if not for the warranty, mechanical
stuff...easy; but the newest electronics technology is just a bit out of my
scope to tackle right now...

BTW...if anyone is looking at buying a newer used GM...BUY THE GMPP
warranty.  It has paid for itself in this one visit alone.  I just wish I
purchased more than a 12 mo/12K mile..but then again...I have had less
problems with my old 1994 Corsica.....

8up

Re: Service bulletins
Try www.alldata.com.  You can get a listing (and brief description) of
the recalls and bulletins.

Check with your local public library.  Ours have full access to
Alldata, but it's only available through the PC's physically at the
library.  I access the ones I need from there and e-mail them to
myself so I can print them at home.

Good luck.

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:26:04 GMT, "Eightupman"

Re: Service bulletins

learn
number
would
my

You could try google with the TSB number, sometimes you get sites that have
the TSBs posted.

Re: Service bulletins
Yes the GMPP warranty is good...but just because you only have 12 months,
you still have options to extend with many different companies, most good,
some not so good...Try www.http://www.1sourceautowarranty.com /
Having said that, what is the service bulletin or campaign number...
Steve

learn
number
would
my

Re: Service bulletins
0852004A

cluster.

Re: Service bulletins

"Eightupman"  wrote

Actually, its....00-08-52-004A.

It has to be presented in the above format
in order for it to be searchable on the GM
web site.

Here is the text of the service bulletin.  There was
one illustration, but it won't be included.

Intermittent Operation of RKE System (Replace I/P Cluster) #00-08-52-004A -
(10/11/2000)
Intermittent Operation of Remote Keyless Entry System (Replace Instrument
Panel Cluster)
2000 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

This bulletin is being revised to update the parts information. Please
discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-08-52-004 (Section 8- Body and
Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment that the remote keyless entry system fails to
unlock all of the passenger doors when the key fob is pressed the second
time.

This condition is intermittent.

Cause
Conflicting radio frequencies may cause a temporary logic lock-up of the
remote keyless entry system.

Correction
  1.. Turn the ignition to the OFF position and remove the key from the
lock.
  2.. Exit the vehicle and lock all the doors.
  3.. Wait at least 10 seconds.
  4.. From a distance greater than 3 m (10 ft) but less than 9 m (30 ft),
press the unlock tab on the remote keyless entry transmitter. The driver's
door will unlock. After waiting 1-2 seconds, depress the unlock tab the
second time. The other doors should unlock. If there is no response to the
second key press, wait 30 seconds and depress the unlock tab again. If the
doors unlock after the 30 second wait, disconnect the instrument cluster
class 2 serial data wiring from the splice pack by completing the following
additional steps:
    1.. Remove the driver's side instrument panel sound insulator panel.

    2.. Adjacent to the park brake assembly is a wiring harness
approximately 24 mm (1 in) in diameter. The wiring harness will have a piece
of white tape identifying the location of the splice pack. Remove enough of
the wiring harness tape to separate the splice pack and remove the gray wire
from cavity "G" of the splice pack.
  5.. Exit the vehicle and lock all of the doors.
  6.. Wait at least 10 seconds.
  7.. From a distance greater than 3 m (10 ft) but less than 9 m (30 ft),
press the unlock tab on the remote keyless entry transmitter. The driver's
door will unlock. After waiting 1-2 seconds, depress the unlock tab the
second time. The other doors should unlock.
  8.. If the doors unlock at the command of the remote transmitter
correctly, exchange the Instrument Panel Cluster with one obtained from an
ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
  9.. Place the gray wire back into cavity "G" and retape the wiring
harness.
  10.. If the exchange cluster is not available for replacement at this
time, reinstall the sound insulator panel.
  11.. Return the vehicle to the customer with the request to return the
vehicle once the part is available.
  12.. When the exchange cluster becomes available, replace the Instrument
Panel Cluster. Refer to the Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console sub-section
of the Service Manual for replacement procedures.
Parts Information
The following parts are available by contacting an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.

      Model
     Part Number
     Description

      Impala
     09381191
     (U11) Police - MPH

      09381171
     (U2E) Base Cluster - MPH

      09381201
     (U11) Police - KPH

      09381181
     (U2E) Base Cluster - KPH

      Monte Carlo
     09383221
     (UB3) Pace Car Replica - MPH

      09383201
     (UB3) Non-Pace Car - MPH

      09383231
     (UB3) Pace Car Replica - KPH

      09383211
     (UB3) Non-Pace Car - KPH

      Impala, Monte Carlo
     09383181
     (UH8) Cool Temp, Tach, Trip - MPH

      09381221
     (UH8) Cool Temp, Tach, Trip - KPH

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

      Labor Operation
     Description
     Model
     Labor Time

      N6622
     Wiring Repair - Occupant Information Systems
     Impala, Monte Carlo
     0.3 hr

      N4180
     Cluster - Remove & Replace
     Impala
     0.6 hr

      Monte Carlo
     0.4 hr

      Cluster - Diagnose, Remove & Replace
     Impala
     0.8 hr

      Monte Carlo
     0.6 hr

Important
Only one of these labor operations may be claimed on a single repair order.
If the system is diagnosed and the vehicle is to be returned at a later
date, use Labor Operation N6622 for the diagnosis time.

If the replacement of the cluster is completed on another repair order
(separate from the diagnosis), use Labor Operation N4180, with 0.6 hr for
the Impala and 0.4 hr for the Monte Carlo.

If the repair is diagnosed and the cluster is replaced on the day the repair
order was written, use Labor Operation N4180, with 0.8 hr for the Impala and
0.6 hr for the Monte Carlo.

The reason for the difference in the times are duplication times required,
such as placing the vehicle in the stall once instead of twice, removal of
the sound insulator panel once instead of twice, etc.

Ian

Re: Service bulletins
THANKS!!!  This is exactly the problem that the Monte went in for.  I still
don't get what in the CLUSTER would cause this problem.....And it does not
mention changing the BCM.....I wonder if the mechanic changed mine because
it was quicker.  The service bulletin even tells the mechanic to put the
dash back in and give it back to the customer until a new dash becomes
available.  They did not do that in my case.  But hey...they are the ones
paying for the rental of a 2004 Silverado.....mmmmm  almost a better ride
than the Monte!!!

Is there any way that I could access this kind of information myself, ,or is
it because you work at a dealer?  I would like to learn about all the
bulletins about my car.

8-upman

#00-08-52-004A -
following
piece
of
wire
sub-section
Center.
order.
repair
and

Re: Service bulletins
What disconnecting the wire described in the bulletin appears to do is
disconnect the instrument cluster from the vehicle's Class 2 data bus. I
would imagine that the problem is due to the instrument cluster doing
something strange on the bus that interferes with the unlock command..

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Re: Service bulletins

not
because
ones
ride
,or
second
the
the
the
cluster
panel.
enough
gray
the
from
this
the
later
Impala
removal

Re: Service bulletins
Part of the instrument cluster has power at all times..

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Re: Service bulletins
wow....I am SOOOOOO out of date with the new electronics it hurts......
Got to get some more schooling under my belt.......

8upman

does
becomes
myself,