service engine light is on

My car is 95 Chevy Corsia, 4 cyn, 2.2L, 111K miles. lately the service engine soon light is on when driving at over 50 MPH, while it is off when the speed is lower than that. The fuel consumption drops from 30 miles per gallon to 21 miles per gallon. Some auto shops don't have code reader for this car and they can not get the error code when it is off. What kind of reader do I need? Where can I get it?

Reply to
limma

obd 1.5 is a special 1995 obd. Any decent shop knows that. See if you can find someone who knows how to hook up an obdi scanner without the plug. As to your problem, check the egr and it's valves, and the O2 sensors.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

AutoZone used a special key to check it since it is OBDI for my car. But it didn't work out that way, because there is supposed to have two pins in the interface and my car has only one. They really have no idea of how to read the error code.

Reply to
limma

AutoZone has the obdi scanner and actually it is simply a key. But the interface has only one pin in my car and it is supposed to have two pins in order to use the key to make the SES light flash and write down the code. BTW, since the change of egr valve or O2 sensors is expensive, can I keep using them and drive my car safely?

Reply to
limma

Make/Model ? YEAR....

Reply to
Steve W.

limma wrote in alt.autos.gm

Some 95 gm cars have obd1 computer systems with either a obdii or some odd connector. You may need to go to a mechanic, possibly even the dealer to get it read.

Reply to
Dick C